Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Losing his wheeking-voice

Mormel

Cavy Slave
My older cavy, Worf, of almost 4 years is lately losing his wheeking voice. It has come to the point he can't properly wheek anymore. I just hear air passing failing to make the wellknown wheek. Most other sounds are getting hoarse too.
He has been examined by 2 independant vets and they notice nothing wrong with him. Normal temperature. Good sound when breathing. nothing remarkable in his throat...
I've been weighing him and he gained a little weight lately. Which is a good thing because he lost some while mourning his departed brother who died some months ago.
Also I notice his new companion, Giovanni, now 4 months old is getting a little hoarse sound in his wheek too.
He's also found to be perfectly healthy and grows well. I can't weigh him because he just can't sit still but he's growing visibly.

The last vet suggested that it might be overuse of the wheeking.
Now it happens to be that Worf used to be a very proud begger that loved to shatter my eardrums. (Imagine how frustrated he must be now) And Giovanni is also a very fanatic begger.

But also...the way we live now we have bad aircirculation in a pretty much polluted area..

What could really be happening here and ofcourse apart from moving, which I'm working on, what can I do about the hoarseness?
At least the cavy-equivalent of the tea with honey would be a step forward I imagine.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
The best thing you can do is weigh them weekly to monitor for weight loss and keep a close eye on them for any other signs.

Sometimes this just happens and there really isn't anything you can do. When my Chatty was around 2 or 3, she went through a period of hoarseness for a couple of months but she was never ill. She eventually got her wheeking back on.

TwitterPopcorn

Cavy Slave
Is the air in your house very dry? This could be part of the issue.

Tserisa

Cavy Slave
Although I don't know what could be causing the weak wheek, I don't think a HEPA air filter is ever a bad idea.

Indoor air is often far more polluted than outside, and living in a polluted area won't help. It'd be good for you and your pets. HEPA are generally considered the best by experts on allergens and the like.

Stay away from "ion" purifiers like Ionic Breeze; their claims are false advertising and there are quite a few lawsuits against them.

I also second checking your humidity. You can buy a humidity gauge cheap, and if your indoor humidity is very low, you might want to buy a humidifier. They're not expensive and can make a big difference with various things, though I have no idea if it'd impact your piggie's voice.

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
My piggie Snidely has an air-whistley wheek (it starts out as a woosh of air and then turns into a wheek). I've never thought it was a bad thing- just like how some people have more hoarse voices (such as Tom Waits). He's perfectly healthy in all other respects, weight stays the same, eats, drinks, pees, and poos normally, just like all my 'normal' wheekers.

If other pigs have developed it though, that would be something I'd be concerned about- though I have no idea what could be the root of the wheeking problem for your guys.

Mormel

Cavy Slave
I'm getting concerned today. I just went out of town today and when coming back I really could feel the air being very harsh on my throat.
When greeting the piggies Worf sounded very different. I think he breathes different too.
Kinda like the day I last went to the vet but worse.
However the sounds are not constant and he behaves healthy in all other respects.
The air was indeed kinda dry today. The water by the heater was all evaporated.

I think the arguments of humidity and pollution may be very valid here.
Also I'm calling the vet as soon as they open.

Mormel

Cavy Slave
The condition seemed to improve after taking measures humidifying the air. The breathing got a bit worse then he coughed it out and his breathing improved noticably.

The vet again couldn't find anything wrong. Worfs' breathing sounded all well again.
He did also mention dry air as possible cause and probably an allergic reaction.

Many hours later now I'm watching the waterdish by the stove so it doesn't run dry.
Remarkebly enough Worf managed to wheek a bit again!
Tnx for the advice! It looks like that helped a lot.

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
Although I don't know what could be causing the weak wheek...

Am I the only one who found this funny? :)

I'm glad your piggy is okay, Mormel.

Tserisa

Cavy Slave
Am I the only one who found this funny? :)

;D

A HEPA filter will also help with allergens in the air, if your vet thinks allergies might be involved. I know I get a little hoarse sometimes from that. You can also get vacuums with built in HEPA filters.

Glad to hear the humidity is helping!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.