Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Need advice urgently - Possible URI

pinkspecs

Cavy Slave
So just within the last hour my piggy, Henry, has started this sort of raspy, snorty sounding breathing. It's not constant, but more intermittent. The problem is he's away at college with me, and his regular vet is two hours away. I got a hold of a local vet's office, but because it's after hours they connected me to the vet on call. He seemed rather crabby about the thought of having to drive in to work just for a guinea pig, saying, "Well, I don't really know what it could be just over the phone. You could bring him in, but it'll take a while because I have to get my car out." And then he pretty much just told me to monitor it and wait until morning.

How fast can a URI progress? The vet's office will open in less than 12 hours. Should he be able to wait that long? Like I said, the rasping is just intermittent. When I hold him up to my ear, the breathing sounds clear, but when he starts squeaking it just don't sound right. Otherwise, he is active in his cage, eating, and drinking.

Piggyboymom

Cavy Slave
Mine showed symptoms for a few days( they were brand new) before I realized what was going on. The vet gave me 2 antibiotics for each pig (syringe fed). They were better in a week. I wouldn't panic as mine had been symptomatic for a few days before they were treated. I would take them in tomorrow.

coojoe135

Cavy Slave
It sounds alot like a URI. I dont have alot of experience with sick piggies , but you could refer to guinealynx for alot more help. Sorry I couldn't help.

pinkspecs

Cavy Slave
I have been looking at guinea lynx, thanks.

Henry is on my lap now, and he seems okay. No more raspy sounds. His coat is soft, and he doesn't have any eye or nose discharge. He's moving around in my lap and exploring like he always does. I'm a nursing student, so I have a stethoscope and I did my best to listen to his breath sounds. They sounded clear to me, of course I'm not a vet. I'm starting to wonder if he didn't just kick up some hay-dust while he was eating because that's when it started.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Have you been weighing him weekly? Has he lost weight? Keep him warm, and take him to the vet in the morning if he shows any sign of illness at all. I hope it was just dust!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You need to get him to the vet in the morning. It does sound like a URI.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.