Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi from Oreo & Peanut!

obxlvr13

Cavy Slave
Hi my name is Karli and I am the proud owner of 2 GP brothers name Oreo and Peanut. I just obtained them this past Friday and made my first C&C Sunday! :) They are still getting used to me and their surroundings! Here are a few pics!

4315846911_983ebd6b0c.jpg

4320406252_a92038dd46.jpg

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Welcome. What cute pigs.

Unfortunately you bought the wrong kind of grids. You need ones that have 9 squares. The ones you have are unsafe. Especially for babies. You need to baby proof on top of getting the right grids.

The hay wheel you have isn't too safe either - some pigs' have gotten stuck inside if it knocks off or falls apart.Hay racks are easier for them to use too.

ameyjaney

Cavy Slave
Welcome. Your guinea-pigs are gorgeous :). Just a small warning: the hay ball in the cage can be dangerous as gps can either get their feet or themselves trapped in them. There is a picture in the gallery, although i can't find it at the moment. Anyway, enjoy reading through the huge amount of information available here and feel free to ask questions :).

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
Welcome. What cute pigs.

Unfortunately you bought the wrong kind of grids. You need ones that have 9 squares. The ones you have are unsafe. Especially for babies. You need to baby proof on top of getting the right grids.

Could you provide a link to a photo of these 9 square grids? I'm pretty sure I have similar ones to those posted in this thread. Thanks

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Could you provide a link to a photo of these 9 square grids? I'm pretty sure I have similar ones to those posted in this thread. Thanks

In the photo gallery of cages almost all of them are made with the 9 square grids. 9 square holes accross and 9 square holes down.

wigglesgiggles1

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed) those are the grids. Oh and you have cute pigs.

scarlett

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed) those are the grids. Oh and you have cute pigs.

I just got these silver/gray cubes from BB&B in the store and used a 20% off coupon. You can probably return the cubes you bought and get the 9 square hole grids instead. Good luck to you and your adorable piggies!

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Your pigs are very cute!

I do have two suggestions for you:
-Don't feed spinach. It's extremely high in oxalic acid, which can contribute to stone formation.
-Expand your cage to a 2x4 (or bigger if you can). This is the minimum size for two males; some actually need a 2x5. With a cage your size you risk them fighting, especially when they enter puberty.

Piggynovice

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome. Your pigs are very very cute.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave

Here
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1381947#1381947

Did you buy them at Target? The new ones they have are not safe. If you got ones with only 4 squares, that will tell you they are wrong. They come in a box with ones that have 8 squares and look similar to the 9 ones but the spacing is more than 1.5 inches (which the 9 square ones are) .

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
Thank you rabbitsncavyluv! That clears it up, I have the right ones. I bought mine from Aldi a while back. I didn't know that Target gets them, maybe they don't in Aust..?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.