Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

wooden hutch question

scotpod

Cavy Slave
Can anyone help? Hope this is the right place for this question.

I have been given the chance of a large 6ft by 3ft two storey hutch for my piggers. It hasn't been used for about 9 months but has been sitting in the persons shed over the winter and has got a bit of mildew/mould on it. :eek:
I am not afraid of getting stuck into cleaning it but wondered if anyone can suggest a good cleaning product to get rid of it.

I would love my boys to be able to use it in the better weather with the 8ft by 6ft run that comes with it, but just need advice on cleaning and disinfecting it.

Thanks in advance.

Tdchewy

Cavy Slave
Are you going to be using the hutch indoors?

scotpod

Cavy Slave
The hutch would be outside during the summer months but would be kept in the shed in the winter.

scotpod

Cavy Slave
I understand the posts from people worried about piggers being outside. Let me just clarify my situation -
1. Boys live indoors.
2. They only go outside when the better weather is here and come in at night.
3. When they are outside, they are in a secure run and hutch and I never go out and leave them in it.
4 They love grazing on the grass and running around and popcorn all the time.

Hope this puts your minds at rest! I just wanted advice on house to best clean the mildew/mould from the wooden hutch.

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
If they are already housed indoors,why would you want to house the outside?

Even during the summer hutches are even more dangerous, as more
predators are outdoors, they are at a higher risk of heatstroke ect... And in the winter it is just as bad, How would you like to live half of your live in a freezer, only coming indoors occasionally?

IF you want, though you could put them outside in a run(under supervision) But living outdoors, is like, just careless, like they don't deserve the luxury you do? I do NOT think that any animal should be forced to live outdoors.

scotpod

Cavy Slave
Just to clarify again - they wouldn't be living outside.
They would only be outside when I am there - and weather permitting. What is so wrong with letting them "stretch their legs" on fresh grass and having fun outside?! They like it outside - lots of squeaks and popcorning and running around.
There are lots of pictures of pigs outside in the gallery.
I am only asking for advice on cleaning a wooden hutch.

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
Sorry, I hadn't read your first post:blush:.

Maybe viniger? diluted bleach?

lissie

Cavy Slave
Can you saw off the moldy part and add new piece of wood? I think that's how houses are fixed. It's very hard to clean mold from wood.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
In my opinion, I think it would be almost impossible to get rid of mold and mildew. Even if you get rid of the visible signs (the stuff you see on the outer parts of the wood), the damage may have seeped deeply into the wood by now. I'd be afraid of the pigs catching something and getting sick even if you were able to manage to get the visible parts of the mold/mildew cleaned off.

mitzi

Cavy Slave
Try a water, vinegar and tea tree oil mix.

Tdchewy

Cavy Slave
I found the following info for cleaning mold from wood with a google search: How can mold growth be discouraged?
Increase ventilation in enclosed areas with fans and vents. Run a dehumidifier. Look for leaks in pipes and basements. Leaks may not be
obvious; but continuously exposing wood to moisture encourages more destructive decay fungi to colonize the wood, possibly leading to structural problems.
Once the humidity problem is eliminated, mold and mildew can be removed by cleaning the wood surface with one part household bleach mixed with four parts water. This removes most of the surface mold spores while renewing the look of the wood. Rinse thoroughly with fresh water and be sure to dry the area after cleaning.
Although mold fungi do not damage the wood, they do produce numerous spores and these spores can have an adverse effect on individuals with allergies. Cleaning the wood helps to eliminate that exposure.

(broken link removed)

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
Vinegar is a good disinfectant. In this case I would strongly encourage you to replace the wood if you can. If not, Tdchewy's post is quite helpful. Make sure the wood dries out completely. [at least a week in a dry place, with a dehumidifier if you have one]. Because wood is absorbent and bleach is harmful to guinea pigs, I would use a 3:1 ratio of vinegar to water. It will be just as strong, and it won't hurt your pigs.
If you can, I would replace or cover the inner wood. I don't know what the hutch looks like, but basically any wood on the inside of the hutch. After disinfecting it, I would cover the inside wood with a thin layer of plywood or something.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.