Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Coprophagy question

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Yesterday, after four hours of floortime, I noticed very few poops in the litterbox and other favorite pooping spot. I put the pigs back in their cage and looked for more poops on the floor and did not find any. So I carefully observed both pigs. Shady immediately pooped in the hay. Busy went in a pigaloo and peed. I brought dinner and both pigs ate heartily, Shady stopping to poop again. Busy ate and went in the pigaloo and it appeared she was eating her poop, which I know is normal. Anyway, after I stood and watched for half an hour, she finally left two normal poops in the pigaloo.

Today, at floortime, Busy was her usual perky self and ate and played. Then she found her favorite spot and rested. I saw her take a poop and eat it so I went and stood and quietly observed. She took and ate at least fourteen poops in a row over the next ten minutes ! Is this normal? Should I be concerned? I know they do this on occasion, but this seemed excessive. I cannot find any mention of this behavior here or elsewhere.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Hmm. I know I've seen pigs consume lots of their own regular poo right after a surgery to replace lost minerals/vitamins/etc, but I'd probably be a little concerned if one were doing it regularly like that.

Do you have a vet you trust that you could call and get an opinion from?

Duffinvt

Cavy Slave
Hmm. I know I've seen pigs consume lots of their own regular poo right after a surgery to replace lost minerals/vitamins/etc, but I'd probably be a little concerned if one were doing it regularly like that.

Do you have a vet you trust that you could call and get an opinion from?

I do. I am going to continue to observe her and see if this continues. I bought Spring Mix lettuce instead of the usual baby lettuces and perhaps it has something to do with that? She seems so normal except for this particular behavior !

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Yeah. I don't know that it's necessarily cause for great concern, but it's also not necessarily normal for most pigs I don't think.

On a side note just the other day I saw my Ichabod grab what I think he must have thought was a caecal poo, only to find that it was actually a full sized regular poo. He dropped it and ran to the other side of the cage and kinda sat there for a second, like, "Eww. No one saw that, did they?" Ha! Pigs are the best.

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
Sophie just went through a bout of constipation.. a week's doses of Reglan, some olive oil and critical care and she was fine. I would quarantine him if I were you, to make sure that he is in fact pooping enough. And certainly get him to a vet.

Duffinvt

Cavy Slave
Well, I put her back in the cage and left Shady out. Busy was in her glory eating everything in sight, pellets, hay and fresh lettuce. I gave her a treat of apple and she ate some of that. I put in fresh apple branches and she got the treat of having them all to herself and eating every bud off them. Something she usually has to compete for.

I shooed her out of the hidey when she was in there and confiscated what I assume is a caecal poo. Not fully formed like the usual poop and sort of mushy.

I called the vet and got the answering service. They open tomorrow at 8 am and I really don't think this is an emergency to call the vet back in, since she IS pooping, just the caecal kind (that is not constipation, right?) and she is eating well. She is napping now, but I will lift the pigaloo in a while and hope to find regular poops.

I read that rabbits have a period of the day that they produce the caecal poop. Is it the same for guinea pigs?

Also, they've had the KM bluegrass for the past week. I never feed it exclusively as they still prefer the Timothy, but that is also a change in diet.

ILovesMePiggies

Cavy Slave
Here is a quote from guinealynx about cecal droppings:

"Cavies may eat the soft cecal feces 150 to 200 times in a day, usually directly from the anus."

So by these standards it doesn't seem excessive if she is still producing normal stools as well.

Duffinvt

Cavy Slave
Checked Busy after dinner and found a large pile of very normal poops in her pigaloo. I was never so glad to see poops in my life. She teased for more food, for some reason she is very hungry, so she got more lettuce and pepper. Shady was glad to go back in the cage as she'd never been out for floor time after dark and was apparently lonely !! Whew. I guess I worry too much. Thanks for advice and concern.

P.S. Busy continues to be the oddest pig. She is the one that is so hard to rouse when sleeping, and becomes almost comatose when she naps, yet bounces around like crazy at other times, being almost manic. Her vet checks are fine, the vet just says all guinea pigs are different. Shady continues to be a "text book" guinea pig, doing all the normal stuff.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.