Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Canada GP friendly vets in Toronto/ Markham?

amandachan86

Cavy Slave
Hi GPC,

I'm looking for a Guinea Pig friendly vet in the Toronto/ Markham area? What are everyone's recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

tmb_3410

Cavy Slave
I've been to the Willowdale Animal Hospital with my guinea pigs twice and both times I have been 100% satisfied with their care.

Willowdale is located in North York, on 256 Sheppard Ave W. It's probably a bit of a drive from where you are, but it's a 24 hour hospital, open 365 days a year, so they're perfect for emergencies. It's also not far from the highway (401).

I don't know how many GP friendly vets are there, but my pigs have seen Dr. Kate Hall and she is fantastic. She caught Peanut's URI, and caught Winston's abscess after he was incorrectly diagnosed by another vet. She also called to follow up on Winston two weeks after we saw her to make sure he was recovering well from his abscess (it was on his jaw, and wasn't eating when we saw her), and to answer any questions I had at the time. They stock Critical Care as well.

Their website is www.downtownanimalhospital.com, they're part of a group of vets. I normally go to the Downtown Animal Hospital, but when I've had times when my vet was unavailable, and so that's why I've ended up way in North York.

I know this is far from you, but I thought I'd post this for you just in case.

amandachan86

Cavy Slave
Thanks very much!

How much does a usual check up cost you (if you happen to know off hand)?

Thanks again, its not that far away!

tmb_3410

Cavy Slave
An appointment cost me $67, I know if you go in for an emergency (so without a pre-booked appointment) they charge about $100 extra. But I've never had a problem getting an appointment with them on short notice.

When I purchased Bactrim in 2008 50ml was $20. Last year when we purchased Baytril from them 50ml was $62.61. The pain med Butorphanol was $25 and I received 15ml of it.

For two x-rays (radiograph 1st plate & one additional plate) I paid: $210 for the 1st plate, and $49 for the second plate. We had one x-ray done of his head and one of his entire body. They also did the x-rays while we waited in the waiting area, so they were completed in under an hour.

I had their nails trimmed there the first time I went, and wasn't charged for it. However, that was nearly two years ago so they may be charging for nail trimmings now. When I bought Critical Care there I think it was about $20 per bag.

Their prices are about par for the course in Toronto. I've been to three different vets in the city, and it usually runs between $60-$80 for a GP vet appointment. If Willowdale was closer to my apartment (I live on Toronto's waterfront, so it's a $50 cab ride for me to get to Willowdale, or a very long subway ride) I'd go there all the time. Dr. Hall is really nice, and very smart with GPs.

One thing I'll note- when I went last year I was massively overcharged for my butorphanol. They charged me $250 for it originally, and when I brought it up to Dr. Hall a week later when she called to check on Winston she immediately told me that was the wrong amount. They did refund me the money, but I'd maybe caution that just make sure they aren't rushing your bill or if something seems off on the bill just ask, since they can be a busy place (lots of vets there). But otherwise, I love it there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.