Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weight Loss About weight gain/loss

TheJiraks

Cavy Slave
I have a question about weight gain and weight loss. Should we worry more about weight loss than weight gain? The guinealynx website talks about weight fluctuation, and how much is ok, not ok, etc. However, even when starting this thread, under prefixes there is only weight loss...not a weight gain prefix or even simply weight. I'm just curious is all.

This all came about because (I will admit) I have not been the best at weighing my pigs weekly. Sometimes I've done it every few days, and other times it's been every two weeks. There was also a point between October and November that our scale broke and I had to wait until payday to buy another....so there was almost a month gap. I have resolved to begin to weigh them more consistently, and just worked on making my weight spreadsheet better. I even added a column that shows me the difference between weigh-ins. I was shocked at some of the numbers. In September, Shadow was sick and lost 92g over the course of the month. He then gained back 70g over the next two weeks. Then when our scale broke and I didn't get him weighed for that month, he gained 100g in that time. Is that ok? I realize the time of day of weighing plays a part, whether they've eaten recently, etc. It really seems though that even though they've lost little bits here and there, they tend to GAIN a lot at a time. I just wanted to make sure that's ok for growing pigs. I estimate them both to be a little more than 1 year old. Chuck currently weighs 1439g, and Shadow weighs 1340g. Sorry this ended up being such a long post. Just wanted to see what you all think. Thanks!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Weight loss is more of a concern because it can indicate illness even when no visible signs are obvious.

TheJiraks

Cavy Slave
So would large amounts of weight gain just indicate they ate a lot then, or could an illness cause rapid weight gain?

cbear713

Cavy Slave
I'm also curious about the weight gain. I recently had to separate my pigs (long story) and I've been monitoring the weight gain of my smaller pig. He has gained in a 2 week period and I was curious if there is such a thing as gaining "too much". He is an adult and is on the small side so I'm not too concerned yet but I want to know what to watch for.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
They key really is knowing what's normal for your particular pig.

Sudden and dramatic weight gain could be cause for concern, sure, it's just not nearly as likely as weight loss. The idea is that a healthy pig isn't likely to be gaining (or even maintaining) weight, but rather losing, and that's why it's more alarming than weight gain.

Pigs, being prey animals, often mask the symptoms of their illnesses quite well and by the time you're able to physically and visually observe the symptoms of sickness, it's probably been going on for quite a long time. The one thing they can't hide, is weight loss - if you're weighing on a scale, that is. And that's why it's so important to have a good grasp on what's normal for each of your pigs and what's not.

Weight gain, on the other hand, isn't likely to be something an ill pig does, as I mentioned. Pigs can get too porky, sure, as can any animal, but as long as you're monitoring the situation and he's not gaining too much too quickly, or gaining so much that it's unhealthy, I think weight gain is a good sign and no cause for alarm. That he's gaining after being separated from the other pig could mean a couple things - that he's not stressed by the other pig's presence anymore and/or that he's able to get a better share of the food now that he's not having to compete for it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.