Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Rat cage flooring

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Hi all - I'm looking into buying a cage that has 1/2 inch spaced bars. There will be bedding on the bottom but is it necessary to have it on the other tiers? I understand wire cages for guinea pigs are harmful so is this the same for rats? Thanks :)

Fudgenrolo

Cavy Slave
Hi. No it's not necessary - it's generally thought nowadays that bumble foot is genetic and isn't caused by wire flooring if that's what you mean. I like to have a good layer of substrate on the bottom because it's natural for rats and other rodents to dig about etc.

If your other floors are solid then that's fine too but just be aware of the need to wipe them regularly as ratties do like to wee on shelves!

MyZoo2

Cavy Slave
For our gerbil, we have a 20 gallon long aquarium with a topper on it. The topper is a manufactured all metal topper that I purchased on ebay, and we line the topper with cardboard or newspaper so he doesn't walk directly on the bars. I don't line the ramps though. This has worked well for us. He has a house in the aquarium, but everything else is kept "above ground." He often times takes his food below to bury it. Once a week we spray down the entire cage set up w/ soapy water to clean it, and then dry it well.

heartpiggies

Cavy Slave
Why not line the upper levels with fleece? It's a lot more comfy for the ratties. They don't like to stand on wire floors all the time. They have very small, delicate feet. It will also make it easier to clean because there won't be pee in the little squares.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.