Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weight Loss Weight loss-a good thing?

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Each of my pigs has lost 3 oz. in the month and a half I have had them. When I got them, they were stuck in a pet store cage and had no floor time and were living on carrots, kale and apples (and hay and pellets and those honey stick treats). They get lots of floor time now and eat healthy foods, lots of veggies, forages and little fruit, good quality pellets and hay and no store (Kaytee) treats. I assume this weight loss is good. They look wonderful as you can see from the photos in my gallery and they eat and are very energetic. They are at 2 lb. even and 2 lb. 2 oz.

Others here may have a different opinion, but in my experience some weight loss can be healthy when they're getting exercise and a varied diet that they didn't have before.

My Doc has lost a lot of weight since we got him. A little over a pound. Yes, a pound. He was in a pet store cage eating not much more than crappy pellets and carrots and he was obese when we got him. He's been to the vet 3 times since we brought him home and all is well. He's healthy and now able to move and run. The poor guy could barely walk when we first got him.

How old are your pigs? Sometimes when pigs become older they lose a little weight, but it plateaus.

I imagine it's your idea that they are more active now then they were. Any more losses, though, and a vet visit may be in order.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.