Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia Did anybody else attend the Guinea Pig Pignic this year?

MegLovesPiggies

Cavy Slave
I attended the Pignic in the Park on Sunday, it was amazing! The piggies enjoyed it and they are very pleased with the new toys I bought them! I think it was a fantastic event and I was wondering if anyone else attended this years one or a previous one? The Guinea Eating Competition was great fun, and I just adored all the creative toys for piggies. I'm definitely going back next year, and I am thinking of rescuing a guinea pig from the ACS as I think there is a shelter about 20 minutes away from me, and I have a big enough hutch for another girl.

pink_bubbles

Cavy Slave
Hello MegLovesPiggies! =D

I was there too!!! In a little corner where the music was loud, near where the food eating competition was held, actually. =D And I must say, it was great fun. I am a relatively new cavy owner, but my babies had so much fun! They were popcorning like crazy when we got back...one almost even fell over due to inbalance. haha. But they were pretty timid in the park becuase everybody else was like..3 times their size! haha.

Did u take part in the eating competition? I tried... but my little greedy boy totally refused to eat aldult spinach leaves..prefering instead the scent of the female piggy next to him. haha. Oh well. Id try again next year when he's older. =D

Yep. I agree that it was an awesome event. They even had greencross vets present so I could ask them about mites and lice and on guinea pigs. =D I also think its really awesome that you're considering recuing a guinea pig from the ACS. The pigs there are not only adorable and lovely, they also have great and friendly support volunteers and they also have a strong vision and strong screening process to ensure that their guinea pigs get adopted to great forever homes! I would totally support your decision if you have enough space, time and love for another piggie.

If you do thou, post up some pictures of her! I would love to see your new little girl. =D:love:

CuteRoxy

Cavy Slave
Sounds fun! When and where is it?

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
a hutch? Are they housed outside?

and I second sounds fun where and when is the next one?

princesspoppy

Cavy Slave
Frankie I was going to say the same thing. I never heard of a guinea pig picnic. How does that work ?

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
It is in Australia.

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
hmmmm I should post a question about this in canada because I dont live anywhere near australlia!

cavy_cuddler

Cavy Slave
I know there was a pignic in Ohio a while ago (September, I think). I didn't get to go, but I think there are pretty much social events that have piggys included. You brought your pig with a small playpen, picked a spot on the grass that looked good, and set your piggy's pen up. Then you were free (as long as someone else kept an eye on the pig!) to go interact with other pig owners. There were contests, horseshoes, all kinds of different things you could do. I believe there were also a few things involving the pigs, like nail trims and piggy portraits.

Katie_Kutthroat

Cavy Slave
Oh my god, I hope they have one next year! That sounds like so much fun.

cavy_cuddler

Cavy Slave
I hope they do too! Last time it was at Winton Woods, Sweetgum Slope (I'm not familiar with Ohio, so I don't know where that is), sponsered by the This Little Piggy and Me rescue, which is where we got our girls from. So next year around the beginning of September, start checking their website for news of another pignic. :)

rahunter

Cavy Slave
We have Pignic here in Canton, GA each year, but it's not for Guinea Pigs. It's a BBQ cook-off!!

tree_hugger

Cavy Slave
I would have loved to go, but its a bit far from me for just one day! Are there pics posted anywhere?

pink_bubbles

Cavy Slave
Hi tree_hugger =D

The pictures for this year's event are not out yet, thou I think they will be soon. Watch the space at (broken link removed)
They do have pictures from the previous years thou. =D This is the third year the ACS is running this event.

distancel

Cavy Slave
There are pics up on here: (broken link removed) Hopefully that link will work, you may need to be a member of the forum I'm not sure.

I wanted to go, but it was a bit far for me to take the pigs, since I don't have a car and didn't like the idea of them being on a train for half an hour with me. (Plus lugging the playpen with me lol not fun). Also I work nights so I woke around noon and it was REALLY hot and I knew there was no way I was venturing out there. Kind of wish I did though. It looks like it was a lot of fun! Hopefully I can make it next year, and I'll actually have some money to spend as well so I can get fun piggie toys for the girls.

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
A Pignic sounds like it'd be great fun, so long as it wasn't sponsored by breeders or pet stores. I hope that this one wasn't.

The only pet related event I've been to before is an adoptathon.

ILHoneyandCustard

Cavy Slave
HEHE i was there with my guinea pig Wally haha was a vampire.

Had a blast cannot wait till next year. I was by the jumping castle had LOTS of kids comming over to give Wally cuddles..

The OP probably has a Hutch on there pateo which is very common in AUS.. Hope you open you house to anlother piggie i have adopted over 10 from ACS and now have a a total of 17 pigs HAHA...

pink_bubbles

Cavy Slave
Dont Worry Tessa. This event was organised by the Australian Cavy Sanctuary (ACS) They're an active and reputable rescue centre. The only pet store present at the event was PetCafe, a store that does not sell animals. They do sell good guinea pig mixes, toys, large cages and hutches and lovely Timonthy Hay thou.=D

An adoptathon sounds like a fun and worthy event to attend too!

MegLovesPiggies

Cavy Slave
Ah wow! I'm so glad that there are other people who attended this event on here too! I'm definitely going back!

Pink_bubbles, that's so awesome that you entered the eating competition too! Yes, one of my larger guinea pigs, Jack entered. He got to the second round but halfway through decided that he didn't feel like eating celery anymore... cutie! I'd love to see some pictures of your Guinea! And maybe next year your guinea will win! I didn't stay long enough to see who did win but I think there were some great prizes!

My guinea pigs were quiet pretty much the whole day too, pink_bubbles... apart from when I produced the tub of vegetables XD

Yes, I'm definitely getting a new female, probably not for a month or so. Hopefully our new hutch is arriving tomorrow!! How do you house your guinea pigs? I come from England and I know that most people in England (I think) Let them outside for the day time but then housed them in a hutch in a shed overnight. But not many people seem to do that here in Australia.

Yes, My guinea pigs are houses in a hutch outside just outside of our house on the patio. They couldn't live inside as my brother has an allergy.

I think there is a pignic every year in Brisbane, but if you check on the ACS website there are events across Australia.

Aw ILhoneyandcustard, thats awesome that you were there! Hmm, I was quite near the bouncy castle too, were you near the ice cream van? Aw that's great that everybody loved Wally! It was such a relaxed day! Did you enter any competitions?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.