Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sneezing Sneezing Boar

yaqcubper

Cavy Slave
Hello,

I recently got two boars last week and one of them sneezes a little too frequently but we've been trying to keep the temp in their environment warm, but not too warm of course (it's starting to get cold around here). He's also the more active out of the two. He popcorns, runs laps, eats all his veggies, drinks plenty of water, munches on pellets, eats plenty of hay...but he sneezes.

The other boar is still weary and only exercises a few times a day. He seems suspicious of everything and eats after the other boar does but does not sneeze or have discharge or any other signs or illness.

They both also have normal urine and solid poops; no diarrhea or funky stuff.

Is the one that sneezes often okay? Because if there is cause for alarm the nearest guinea pig vet is 1 hr and 40 min away (according to Lynx).

Thank You!

lissie

Cavy Slave
Sneezing could be sign of URI. Where did you get your pigs? If they are from pet store, it's better to get both of them checked-up.

yaqcubper

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I think I do want them checked out. And the only symptom of URI that Mac Lovio has is sneezing...but I don't want to risk it getting worse. Could the bacterial infection spread to the other cavy?

I'm going to start calling the few pet hospitals and vets we have around here, hopefully one of them will have experience or knowledge on cavies...

Thank You

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Sometimes sneezing can be caused by dusty bedding or dusty hay. How often is he sneezing in say an hour period?

And yes, bacterial infections can be spread. But if he has the beginnings of a URI then the other is already exposed and no need to even bother worrying about separation.

yaqcubper

Cavy Slave
I want say 3-7 times...no more than that.

Yeah I figured...Well, they both should be seen either way.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
3-7 times in an hour? That seems like a lot to me.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
If he's sneezing 3-7 times in an hour then he most likely has the beginnings of a URI. Please take him to the vet.

yaqcubper

Cavy Slave
I am looking for vets right now and hopefully can get a Monday morning appointment. Thank you very much for your help.

yaqcubper

Cavy Slave
So I found a vet in my area that specializes in Exotics and has worked with guinea pigs before. Their check-up is not going to be an all-day one but about an hour long, is this an okay amount of time for them to be checked or should I be looking for someone else?

Ama4884

Cavy Slave
I took my piggies to the vet last week, and it took him about 35-40 minutes to look at them both. I think that is a good amount of time.

yaqcubper

Cavy Slave
Good good thanks.
I was so happy to find someone here in town that specialized in exotics and who sounded concerned with giving my piggies enough time, I didn't think I would.

Hopefully anything wrong with them can now be resolved and I can be sure of their age and of their healthiness.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.