Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi I just got my piggies!

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Hi all,
I've been lurking on this site a few weeks, occasionally replying to a post. As well as reading up on all the info on the site. I just figured out how to start my own thread (duh!).

Today I picked up 2 boy piggies that I found on Craig's list. My very first piggies! A father and son. The father is obviously abyssinian, with little rosettes, and the son looks like a mix but with a lot of the coloring of the dad (dark brown, light brown and white). I wish I could post photos but my camera stopped working a while ago and I have not had time to troubleshoot it.

I am giving them some floor time in the bathroom right now. It's tiled and safe. I fed them some veggies and put lots of hay in little plastic containers in various areas. They approached me pretty close on the bathroom floor (I sat at one end of it) but don't want to come too near yet. I have put their igloo in there and also an "edible basket" with bedding in it. I just checked on them and they are still wandering around exploring.

I have grids and am putting together a cage around a large plastic underbed storage bin. I'll use two of these bins, connected with ramps, as soon as I get some more grids. (I saw online how somebody did this, and I just happened to have two of these bins in the attic. ) The piggies were in a much smaller cage, with cedar(!) bedding but I got rid of all that. I am using aspen shavings for now but they'll graduate to fleece once I get that organized.

This is a real adventure for me. My husband happens to be travelling in Asia right now but he is also excited about the new additions to the family. I'll show him the piggies via videochat if they will let me. (We have no kids; but have been married long enough to have college age kids, I realized with a shock.) We live in Houston Texas but are not from here.

princesspoppy

Cavy Slave
Congrats. I remember you from last nights chat. I'm so happy you managed to get two piggies.

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
Congratulations! I'm glad you've got 'em!

I do recommend you try to find coroplast eventually for a nice uninterrupted floor space for them, but I've also got to hand it to you for gumption getting started on a big cage for them right away with what you have on hand. They'll thank you for it!

Enjoy your new boys - boars rock. ;-)

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

Congrats on rescuing your new pigs! I agree that a C&C cage will be best once you have the time to find the coroplast and build it.

Rose11

Cavy Slave
Sounds like you are taking good care of them!
You will have to send us some pictures of them and also some of their cage, it's sounds awesome!
Congrats and have fun with your piggies!

wigglesgiggles1

Cavy Slave
Boars are awesome. They are so calm and sweet and dont have an attitude.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.