Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding i really need help with my fleece, just can't get it to work!

emmajin386

Cavy Slave
I am a new guinea pig owner and new to fleece bedding too.

I did all my research on google and guineapigcage.com, i fully understand how fleece should work , but i just can't get it to work, my fleece dont absord water AT ALL.

this is what i did, please check if i did anything wrong?
1. went the a fabric shop got 100% polyester fleece.
2. washed it 3 times and dry it under sun 3 times.
3. then i got some new towel ( i did't wash it before use) is this gonna be the prob?
4. then lay 2 layer of towel with one layer fleece on top.

but when my piggie urine on the fleece, the urine just stay right on top, it looks like water on plastic, then i waited about 1 hur, the urine is still on top of fleece.

please, please, i really need help, this is just not working!!!!

thank you very much !!!

xforeverlovedx

Cavy Slave
are you using any type of fabric softener??

Try washing the towels... idk if that would do anything but its worth a shot.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Yes, foreverloved is right, make sure you don't use fabric softener when you wash the fleece. Fabric softener prevents the moisture from being wicked down to the towel layers.

I would also wash the towels. Wash those like you normally would.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Do you know which type of fleece it is? If you got it from Joann fabric, look for Anti-pill or blizzard. If you have the plush type fleece, it will not work.
Like xforeverlovedx said, don't use fabric softener. Wash and dry 3 times, wash-dry-wash-dry-wash-dry, not wash-wash-wash-dry-dry-dry. Also don't use dryer sheets. Test it before putting in the cage, put towels down and 1 layer of fleece on top. Pour some water on, see how it works. Good luck.

emmajin386

Cavy Slave
ok, for the first wash i used normal washing powder, then the last 2 wash i didn't put anything in the wash at all.

today i tried washing the towels, and i washed the fleece twice more with worm water, and dry it with the dryer for about 30min.

and when i try with water, omg, still the same, the water just stay on top, even the bottom of my fleece was dry.

emmajin386

Cavy Slave
what i got is polar fleece, this is all i can find.....

ferndalezoo

Cavy Slave
If you bought it at JoAnn, it's going to be one of three things. Go look at your receipt. If it says "Anti-Pill" or "Blizzard", it will eventually work. The third type is a plush fleece (none of these will say "polar" fleece), and that won't work-- not because it doesn't allow the liquid to go through, but because it gets soggy.

Start all over. WASH your towels and your fleece. Use regular detergent (not anything with added fabric softener), and vinegar can also help break down the sizing (the chemical that is on the fleece and towels that prevents them from absorbing anything). Dry them in the dryer, and DON'T use a dryer sheet. Repeat this a few times (wash,dry,wash, dry; not wash wash wash dry).

rahunter

Cavy Slave
I picked up a fleece blanket from Goodwill that appeared to very broken in but it would not wick. I stretched it a bit then washed it a few times which worked. Try drying it in the dryer and see if that helps.

emmajin386

Cavy Slave
Thank you eveyone,
i am in Australia, and have no idea about thos shops that was mention.
when i bought the fleece from a fabric shop, they just cut off from a roll to what ever i want the size to be, and i got no labels or anythings with the fleece.
but there was a label on the roll, and it only says polar fleece, and all of them from that shop seem to be the same brand.

but I will try doing all over again, and dry in a dryer, also try stretching.

Toadies

Cavy Slave
Is your laundry soap/detergent a combination type-softener and detergent? Have you tried putting a cup of vinegar in the rinse water? I had to wash my fleece more than 3 times but I eventually got it to wick.

vicky2

Cavy Slave
Actually, can you post us a link to your "washing powder" or whatever it's called.
It might hold a clue to why it's not working...

JordynThePiggie

Cavy Slave
I had the same problem too. I went to Walmart and bought a cheap fleece blanket and cut it in half. That way when I go to change it, I will have a clean fleece ready to go. I read online somewhere that when you wash it 3 times, add white vinegar to the wash? I tried it and it seemed to work. The only problem with the fleece is that you have to wash it everyday or it will reek of pee!

PancakesWaffles

Cavy Slave
I didn't realize that putting fleece as bedding was such a task! All this washing and drying and special laundry soap!

I just went to Walmart and Fabricland and picked out some fleece that I liked (I don't even know what kind), came home and put it in the cage. I laid a table cloth down, put down a towel and then put a layer of fleece. When I wash the fleece I use liquid laundry soap and a fabric softener sheet. It works perfectly fine, the fleece soaks everything up and the towel and table cloth are for "just incase."

Or maybe I'm doing it wrong?

emmajin386

Cavy Slave
i found something out really funny and strange today.
i tried my other 2 fleece that i got together with the one i am using now, and they actually worked.....
it's just one of them, no mattter how i wash it, just can't get to work!!
i bought 3 fleece from the same shop on the same brand.

very confused now.

lissie

Cavy Slave
The only problem with the fleece is that you have to wash it everyday or it will reek of pee!

Fleece should not be reek of pee if you prep it properly and have enough absorbent layers underneath. What size is your cage? If it meets the recommended size, fleece should last 5 - 7 days before you need to wash it. You'll need to scoop out poos at least once a day though.

I didn't realize that putting fleece as bedding was such a task! All this washing and drying and special laundry soap!
It works perfectly fine, the fleece soaks everything up and the towel and table cloth are for "just incase."

Fleece should not soak everything up. It should not stay wet at all. If you've prepared it properly and it still doesn't allow pee to go through the towels underneath, you might have the wrong type of fleece. How many layers of towels do you have?

heartpiggies

Cavy Slave
Do you have a "kitchen/bathroom" area for your piggies? My pig is pretty good about using his. He rarely pees on the fleece. I used to have rats and this was a real problem (they pooped in their litter box but peed everywhere) so I know what you are talking about. I bet if you set up a "kitchen" area, the amount of pee on the fleece will be significantly reduced.

poopysmom

Cavy Slave
Hi emmajin386,

I am in Australia as well and out of curiosity, did you buy your fleece from Spotlight?
I only ever wash my fleece with vinegar and washing detergent (home brand white vinegar with concentrated dynamo on cold setting).

As for towels, I just buy them from the Op shops (hey its for them to pee on...)
my last visit to St. Vincent yield me 10 towels for 5.00. I wash my towels with the same method (vinegar + detergent).
You don't want to use softener as it will create a film on the fleece causing it to be water resistant.

Anyway, if you look at the roll of fabrics in Spotlight (from your description, sounds like spotlight's MO) the tag hanging off the fabric will usually tell you if its 100% polyester or not. Mine are all polar but dont buy the plain coloured ones in Spotlight. They kind of not very good (I learnt my lesson).
Those with the patterns which right now (Spring sale) range from 5/M and 8/M is the kind that you will want to get... It will wick after 2-3 washes.

Those baby fleece throw they selling in Dimmey's also work well too.

Tdchewy

Cavy Slave
I guess I got lucky when I implemented fleece in my cage. I bought a fleece blanket from k-mart and laid 2 layers of towels underneath, and then the fleece and binder clipped it into place. Never washed or dried any of it and it worked properly right away. Beginner's luck I guess

CodyRex

Cavy Slave
Is it okay to just use towels? Because I just use a towel for my piggies bedding.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Is it okay to just use towels? Because I just use a towel for my piggies bedding.
If you only use towels, your piggies will be wet all the time. Towels take quite long to dry. You will need to top it with fleece. Fleece does not stay wet and will allow the urine to get through to the towels underneath, keeping your piggies dry.
How often do you change the towel?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.