Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels Upper Levels and Boars

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
I have a question about upper levels and boars.

My boars do well in their cages, but occasionally they carry on with each other to re-enforce dominance. There is never any blood drawn, so I just let them be. But I don't want anyone to feel too crowded or provoke anything, though, because I still have the smaller two brothers that haven't hit puberty yet. It seems so far that with all the space, they haven't had any major issues yet.

I can't do two 3-grid wide cages due to available space, so I was thinking I could add more space on the bottom by building an upper level for a kitchen to move the hay and such up top. So with the upper level, I don't want anyone to get trapped, so my question is, with boars, should I make ramps down on both sides of the upper level? Anyone do this? Or has anyone not really had a problem with this?

Oh, almost forgot to add. I have two 2x5's now, but I do have available space issues, so I can't build any further out, just up. There are 3 boars in each. The one cage has Alton (the oldest), Winston and Carlton (which are still in puberty, but not as aggressive about it anymore) and the other cage has Byron who is almost a year old, and the two younger brothers who are yet to hit puberty.

(I hope all this makes sense, I am having allergies today and am a little dopey)

You could start with one ramp and see how it goes. Otherwise a wider ramp or two ramps might help. I don't put any hideys in my hay loft since there isn't much room (I also never pick them up from the loft so they know it's a safe zone). I feed veggies on the main level and other food in the kitchen since they're less likely to fight over hay or pellets.

You could start with one ramp and see how it goes. Otherwise a wider ramp or two ramps might help. I don't put any hideys in my hay loft since there isn't much room (I also never pick them up from the loft so they know it's a safe zone). I feed veggies on the main level and other food in the kitchen since they're less likely to fight over hay or pellets.

That is how I have been doing it.
Right now I have one ramp to the upper level and the boys take turns as if it is a game laying down at the top of the ramp thus preventing the other from going all of the way up (silly piggers!)
It is funny you should mention it. I am currently working on welding some grids together too make a wider ramp.
(not enough space or grids for two ramps:sad:)
Hopefully I am able to wild them rather than use zip ties to keep it all together. (keep your fingers crossed)

I have 4 boars who share a cage-- it's a 3x5, with a 1x3+1 upper deck "kitchen". There is only one ramp. Honestly, I have never had an issue with anyone getting "trapped" in the kitchen. There is a hayrack on either end of the "long" part of the loft, and I put the pellets split between two dishes in between. There are two water bottles on the "short" section, which is also where the ramp is. The issue with ramps is that they (and the upper deck, depending on how it's supported) can "eat up" floor space on your main level, so if you can have just one and have it work, that would be my suggestion.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.