Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Male Guinea Pigs

Alena

Cavy Slave
If a female guinea pig has babys, will the Male guinea pig need to be in a different cage,So he won't eat them?Also how long will the babys have to stay with the mom until they go in a different cage?My sister has two guinea pigs named Kitty(female) and Twixy(male),Kitty is pregnant and may be having 3-4 babys.When Kitty has them I might get 2-3... I still need lots Of money!

xERICx

Cavy Slave
Was this an intentional breeding?
The male needs to be removed because he can get her pregnant again right after she has them, which is very hard on them. Also any male babies will need to be removed at 21 days.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Are you or your sister breeding?

You need to remove any baby males at 21 days or they can impregnate mom and any sisters. If you have not removed the Dad, he can impregnate mom right after she gives birth (if she survives as 20% chance she won't) so poor mom is backbred. Which increases the risks.

It is a myth that Dad will eat or harm the babies but Dad should not be in the cage anyway with mom unless he is neutered.

Look over the cages on this site. You can use dividers to separate the males and females.

Read
Breeding Guinea Pigs
https://www.guinealynx.info/breeding.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html

TwilightStar

Cavy Slave
Don't assume things. This is a sister of a friend, and I know for a fact she did not breed them. Give her a chance guys. :)

You will need to separate the male from the mom soon, as he can get her pregnant right after she gives birth, and since you have no idea when the mom will give birth, I suggest you separate them soon. You can keep them in the same room together so they can still see one another.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Then she should make it clear in her post. It sounds like she is saying the boar and sow are in the same cage if she is asking if the Dad needs to be moved. So why is a breeding pair being housed together in the first place, esp. if the sow is heavily pregnant?

The Dad needs to be moved now so he does not backbreed the sow.

And then the op makes a joke about money at the end?

TwilightStar

Cavy Slave
Then she should make it clear in her post. It sounds like she is saying the boar and sow are in the same cage if she is asking if the Dad needs to be moved.

So why is a breeding pair being housed together?
She never said she was breeding them, they were missexed. They didn't notice it was a boy until the other one started gaining weight.

The mom hasn't given birth yet.

She's new to guinea pigs and we sent her here to help her out.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Breeding pair means unaltered male and female. I did not say she was breeding. That is why we asked for more info. Read.

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
Breeding pair means unaltered male and female. I did not say she was breeding. That is why we asked for more info. Read.

In your post you made it look like you assumed that they were breeding their guinea pigs, which they are not. Why must everyone jump at the fact that they may be breeding them rather then helping them now that the female is pregnant? They are close friends of mine and my sister (Twilight Star) and I can assure you that they did not breed. They, like a lot of people on here, got a missexed pair. They didn't even notice the boars testicles until recently, and they were told that they were both females.

And by the way, I did read, but it looks like others didn't or they just automatically jumped to conclusions.

TwilightStar

Cavy Slave
I am not trying to be mean or anything, but this is someone I know...who's here to take good care of her guinea pigs.
It's really not her fault, but at least she's trying to do the best she can for them.
We sent her here because we can't answer all her questions, but we'll also be helping her.
Also, they never said they wouldn't separate them, the mom is still pregnant. Of course they will separate when the babies are born, we just didn't get a chance to tell that to her at her house. We sent her to this site instead. :)

And I do realize where you were getting all of that from, but like I said, she didn't know about that stuff. She certainly didn't want her pig to be pregnant.

(She doesn't know about back to back pregnancy, she's completely new to this.)

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
It sounded odd since her post said the boar and sow were still together in the same cage and they were not intending to separate them.

I realize this is your friend but maybe they can clarify instead of you jumping over posters trying to help. This is an anti breeding forum so they should have clarified at first. The links I posted have reproduction info and relevant care info.

Dad needs to be removed now and the cage with mom baby proofed.

The mom should get alfalfa hay or alfalfa pellets and veggies higher in calcium.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
My sister has two guinea pigs named Kitty(female) and Twixy(male),Kitty is pregnant and may be having 3-4 babys.
You should tell your sister to separate the male from the female now. As other members have pointed out, a female can get pregnant immediately after giving birth and it can put so much stress on her poor body it can kill her.

When Kitty has them I might get 2-3... I still need lots Of money!
Yes, you need to have a substantial vet fund built up before you take in any of the pups. They can get quite expensive and they need vet care like any other animal.

Why must everyone jump at the fact that they may be breeding them rather then helping them now that the female is pregnant?
No one "jumped at" anything. The two people who replied asked whether or not the breeding was intentional:

Was this an intentional breeding?
Are you or your sister breeding?
Which was met with the following:

Don't assume things.
In your post you made it look like you assumed that they were breeding their guinea pigs, which they are not.
Asking a question does not imply anything was "assumed." It's a question. To get more information. This forum does not promote breeding, and there is not a single indication in the original post that this was in any way an accident. Hence, the questions.

Sfailed and Twilight - You and your sister know more than the members here because you know this person outside of this forum. How about instead of you two throwing a hissy fit when members suggest that breeding is not condoned here (it is not) you just politely explain what was absolutely not clear from the OP?

TwilightStar

Cavy Slave
You should tell your sister to separate the male from the female now. As other members have pointed out, a female can get pregnant immediately after giving birth and it can put so much stress on her poor body it can kill her.

Yes, you need to have a substantial vet fund built up before you take in any of the pups. They can get quite expensive and they need vet care like any other animal.

No one "jumped at" anything. The two people who replied asked whether or not the breeding was intentional:

Which was met with the following:

Asking a question does not imply anything was "assumed." It's a question. To get more information. This forum does not promote breeding, and there is not a single indication in the original post that this was in any way an accident. Hence, the questions.

Sfailed and Twilight - You and your sister know more than the members here because you know this person outside of this forum. How about instead of you two throwing a hissy fit when members suggest that breeding is not condoned here (it is not) you just politely explain what was absolutely not clear from the OP?
I didn't mean to be mean, I didn't want my friend's sister to be hurt on here.
She honestly didn't know.

Also, Rabbit said something at first like, Stop breeding your pigs, poor things, but she changed it.
If I could go back and change it now that she did I would, but I think it's been 10 minutes.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
TwilightStar, if this is a sister of a friend then why couldn't you have answered the questions outside of the forum for her? Surely in the time that you and your sister have been here, you've learned these basic things.

xERICx

Cavy Slave
Don't assume things.

No one assumed anything.
We asked if it was intentional, no assumptions were made and if she didn't wanna be asked she should have made it clear in her first post.

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
No one assumed anything.
We asked if it was intentional, no assumptions were made and if she didn't wanna be asked she should have made it clear in her first post.

You asked. (broken link removed)(broken link removed) did not. She did however change her post...

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
You asked. (broken link removed) did not. She did however change her post...
Stop this childish arguing. I'm not sure what you feel you're accomplishing by continuing a fight you started that has since proved unfounded. All we can go by is what rncl's post says now. I suggest you get over whatever her post may have said. If your friend is here to get help with her pigs, great; we'll do all we can.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I am going to add to what Paula said and tell you all that if this thread does not get back on it's original topic and the drama and petty arguing continues, I will shut it down.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.