Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Ikea?

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
Anyone ever use materials from IKEA in a creative way in building their cage? Like, as they call it, an IKEA hack?

I did see an entry on the "IKEA Hacker" blog once where someone made a guinea pig mansion. It was made with an IKEA wardrobe if I remember correctly.

We did our own tiny tiny little hack (if you could call it that). We went there last week and saw these plastic grocery bag holders for $2 which we have been using for tunnels during floor time (not sure yet if I would leave them in the cage until the babies are grown up). Here's a photo of them from the IKEA website:

RATIONELL VARIERA

(broken link removed)

It got me to thinking, well, what else could I get cheaply to use for building the cages bigger or for other things for the pigs...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen this picture before and it got me thinking about the same kind of thing since I have an IKEA in town. Marsulinna - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

That is a great idea for a tunnel! I may have to steal it. The idea, not the tunnel lol

These are great hay racks Hay Area - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

I've also seen some pictures of these but I haven't been able to find one in our IKEA's pet section piggies love this! - Guinea Pig Cage Photos I've also looked for these and not found them Igloo - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

Wow. I'm off from work this week. I may need to go to IKEA! I need to find some kind of housing solution since one of my girls won't accept my (neutered) male. The set up we have now cannot remain permanently

Oooh! I love all those ideas!
The cage is awesome!

I had an idea for expanding our cage, but I'm at work...
I'll have to send details a little later, but it's somewhat similar to that cage...I wonder if it would work.

Ipicked up 2 of these Igloo - Guinea Pig Cage Photos today.....they are in the section for wall organizers and odds and ends. They are called "Blimp" if anyone is looking for them...they make great hidey houses!

That is so funny that you mentioned IKEA because I was there today and we got a couple of racks for in the kitchen and used them for hay racks! They work really well!!

That is so funny that you mentioned IKEA because I was there today and we got a couple of racks for in the kitchen and used them for hay racks! They work really well!!

I use those too! The ones that hang on the rails! You know you are a total cavy slave when you go to IKEA and grab things to use for the pigs...if only people knew what we use them for, they would look at us like we have lost it. We went to IKEA today too to measure a few things!

Here's my idea I was going to post Thursday after work...

I have 2x4's and I'm thinking of using the IVAR shelving to expand my cages out by another set of grids (to 2x5's). That should be enough room for 3 piggies each (I have 6 pigs total and cross my fingers, they live in peaceful herds of 3 right now).

We have the Vika Amon table tops already with the trestles and so total, the tables we have the cages on are 59"x29", so the 2x4 fits perfectly right now. Problem is, the tables have no room to expand.

So with the boars hitting pigerty, I mean puberty, we need more space. Well, we don't have room for another table top, so we thought that adding the IVAR shelving at the end of each table, we can set the shelf right at the height of the Vika tables and line it up so as to expand to 2x5's.

Plus, then we can add a shelf higher to put a loft on (and have it supported).

And as a bonus, we can add shelves lower to give storage under the tables.

I hope that all makes sense...ugh...I'm reading this over now and it is like mumble jumble! Hard to explain.

Current IKEA items used:

Vika Amon table tops with Vika Lerberg trestles - this is what our 2x4's sit on now and we use the space under the table for storage. We thought this was better than supporting the cage on grids or on a conference type table because it matches our other IKEA furniture. Yep, we're total dorks.

Items I can use to expand one more set of grids to make a 2x5 and loft:

IVAR shelf - this will line up with the height of the table and the new set of grids will sit on it and of course the sides to hold the shelf IVAR shelf post and also for added stability the Observator cross brace. Phew...dang...I hope this is all making sense. Then I would add a shelf above and below the shelf that is lined up the table. The one above would be used to support a loft and the one below would hold additional storage under the table.

Some things we bought today:

The Jabba - we are going to hang this in the cage once in a while when we get the loft installed to dangle treats they can pull off the pins. It will add something different to keep them entertained.

Noje Storage Baskets - We are going to use these as a sort of hidey/toy. They can push it around and run into it. I have one pig that has a little pillow dog toy and he likes to push it around the cage, so this will be fun for him.

Things I wondered if they would be good:

Bastis Cat Tunnel - I see others use this, but it might take up a lot of room in the cage. Probably best for floor time.

Fniss Letter Trays - to put under hay areas.

and the Signum Cable Organizer - we have 3 pigs that love hammocks, so we thought this might make a good strong hammock, but we'd have to hack the way it hangs.

Wow that sounds really interesting! I'm trying to picture it in my head!! You need to post some pics of what it looks like now and then with the changes! You've got some great ideas, I wish that I had a couple of them when I went to IKEA today!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.