Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n The Jungle

CaliGirl

Cavy Slave
Have you ever heard of a book called The Jungle ? In my US history class we are currently talking about the early 1900's. We just read a passage from The Jungle (by Upton Sinclair). THe book is about the factory conditions in a meat procesing factory in the 1900's. It was absolutly disgusting. I couldn't even think of eating meat. Though I am not a vegitarian, the book does seem interesting. It makes you wonder what the conditions in factories are really like today (though Im sure most people on this form already know). Has anyone here heard of the book? Whats your opinon of it?

dansamy

Cavy Slave
It was required reading in my American Literature high school class. I enjoyed it very much. It is a very disgusting description of an unregulated meat-packing industry. Sinclair's book & the uproar that followed helped to get more regulations in the meat-packing industry. For a look at today's meat-packing & how it has beenm affected by reigning cuisine king, fast-food, read Fast Food Nation. It is non-fiction, so it is a drier read than The Jungle, but it is also quite good.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.