Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Re-usable bedding ideas?

kaorte

Cavy Slave
I just discovered the Piggie bedspreads and I think they are a great idea. Not enough for me to spend $100 on a set though.

I have been sewing for about 6 years so I figured I could make something similar myself. Mainly something with a fleece top, absorbent central layer, and a water resistant bottom layer. I have the top and bottom layers figured out but I can't think of anything that would work in terms of absorption. Maybe flannel? Maybe Bamboo? Ideally I would like to be able to find these at a common fabric store so I don't have to order in bulk or order online.

If you guys use a similar method for your pigs bedding, what do you use as a reusable absorbent layer?

Thanks in advance!

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
The easiest way to make the piggie bedsread is to buy a king size cotton rich mattress cover and cut it to size of cage, and cut fleece about 2 inches bigger to fold around the sides of the mattress pad. If you think that is not absorbant eneogh you can always use cheap cotton blankets cut to size for the middle layer and sew everything together.

gooberific

Cavy Slave
I use towels and comforters, so anything made from cotton or other absorbing material.

kaorte

Cavy Slave
So, a few layers of cotton will do the trick? I like the idea of the mattress pad.

I was looking for something that I could buy by the yard. I suppose a few layers of 100% cotton flannel could work? I was just wondering if there was some magical absorbing material that has been found. :p

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
So, a few layers of cotton will do the trick? I like the idea of the mattress pad.

I was looking for something that I could buy by the yard. I suppose a few layers of 100% cotton flannel could work? I was just wondering if there was some magical absorbing material that has been found. :p

Cotton flannel would work but I think something thicker like a mattress pad would be better.

If you want to use Flannel, I would suggest more of something like this. Top layer fleece, Cotton Batting (can be hard to find in stores but can be ordered online)middle layer, Flannel last layer.

A Cotton mattress pad would be cheaper and easiest way to go.

This https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/bedding/21568-fleece-project-study.html may help if you haven't read it yet.

Last edited:

kaorte

Cavy Slave
I have read the fleece guide a few times but mostly just skimmed it. I find it pretty hard to read wall of texts.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
If you Google for something like "sew cloth diapers", you will find lots of pages that have information on creating absorbant layers and the different types of fabrics you can use.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
As far as absorbancy goes, after searching how to make soaker pads I found that the best way to make an absorbant middle layer is to combine 7 layers of Flannel sewed together or 2 layers of flannel sewn between 2 pieces of terry cloth or towels like a sandwich and then the fleece on top for wicking. Personally I prefer what the cheap way of cutting a mattress pad to size and sewing the fleece around that.

lissie

Cavy Slave
As far as absorbancy goes, after searching how to make soaker pads I found that the best way to make an absorbant middle layer is to combine 7 layers of Flannel sewed together or 2 layers of flannel sewn between 2 pieces of terry cloth or towels like a sandwich and then the fleece on top for wicking.
That sound like it would be really hard to keep clean. Also would take forever to dry.

Personally I prefer what the cheap way of cutting a mattress pad to size and sewing the fleece around that.
I prefer mattress pad too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.