Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Question regarding space..

Willeh

Cavy Slave
Hello all,
When we first got out two piggies, we weren't informed of their cage space needs and we purchased the largest we could find within our budget at the pet store.
After finding this site, we measured the cage we bought and discovered it's suitable for just one piggie and not two.
However, we now have 3 piggies and we feel space is more of an issue therefore earlier today I was considering building a larger C&C cage which would be more suited to 3 piggies. The main problem was we didn't want to throw away the cage we bought from the pet store as it costed us quite a bit.

Would it be okay to let the 3 piggies sleep in the cage at night, however during the day time, could we place them into a larger, more spacious cage built of cardboard (maybe lined with plastic or something non absorbent) which would be filled with hay and such and would have plenty of space for them to run etc, then replace them back into the pet-store bought cage at night? This would mean we would be using the pet-store cage and cardboard isn't particularly expensive.

Suggestions highly welcome, many thanks.

TwilightStar

Cavy Slave
No, it wouldn't.
Because my guinea pigs tend to be active at night, and I'm sure other's could be too.
Plus, with three guinea pigs in such a small place, they would be more likely to fight. They need room so they can get away from each other and have their own space.

I'm not sure though. Do you not want to build a CC cage for three pigs because of space or because you don't want to feel like you wasted your money?
I'm sorry, but you can't keep them in a not non-suitable cage just because your upset about how much you spent on the wrong kind of cage. You have to do what's best for the guinea pigs...
Why not try to get some money back and return/sell it on ebay or craigslist?

LauraBean

Cavy Slave
I would build the C&C, and use it all the time.
You could attatch the petstore cage to the C&C...a lot of people have done this, and keep food and hay in there (it's a kitchen :D )

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
You can keep the cage as a quarantine or travel cage. You really need to get them a larger permanent cage.

TwilightStar

Cavy Slave
I agree.
I felt like our petstore cage was a loss, but it has served as a travel and quarantine cage for our newest addition, Villette.
Also, if one of the pigs gets sick, and if you need to separate them from their cage mates so they can get well again, you can also use that cage as a temporary home.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
I have a few smaller cages. Before I found this website I kept getting bigger and bigger cages knowing they needed something bigger. Then I found this website and got two more piggies and built a huge cage. I'm using one of the previous cages for the mini rex baby I got. The others I'll use if one gets sick or if I get another piggie.

JessicaS

Cavy Slave
One of my piggies came with a small pet store cage. I thought about getting rid of it before because I was using the C&Cs. But, because of sicknesses and quarantines it has been really helpful.

Plus, I've seen some really great cages that people have made on here that utilize their smaller pet store cages.

I say keep it, you might eventually need it for something else.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't recommend selling it, as it might end up becoming an unsuitable living space for some other unlucky guinea pig.

I agree with everyone else's idea of keeping it as a quarantine/travel cage or using it as a kitchen in your C&C cage. I'd also like to add that guinea pigs are as active at night as they are in the day. In fact, they only sleep 4-6 hours a day and that's split up into naps of approximately 10 minute intervals throughout the entire day and night. So, having them be in a pet store cage at night is condemning them to spend half of their awake life trapped in a way too small space.

TwilightStar

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't recommend selling it, as it might end up becoming an unsuitable living space for some other unlucky guinea pig.

I agree with everyone else's idea of keeping it as a quarantine/travel cage or using it as a kitchen in your C&C cage. I'd also like to add that guinea pigs are as active at night as they are in the day. In fact, they only sleep 4-6 hours a day and that's split up into naps of approximately 10 minute intervals throughout the entire day and night. So, having them be in a pet store cage at night is condemning them to spend half of their awake life trapped in a way too small space.
Hm, I only said that because it cost them a lot of money if they don't find a way to use it.
Though, I think they should keep just for a quarantine cage.

Willeh

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone for the replies. I think I'll go ahead with the C&C cage and somehow try and incorporate the existing cage we have into it, producing a mega cage :p

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.