Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

anyone been to a guinea pig show?

bridgetb125

Cavy Slave
There is one near me tomorrow and i'm thinking about going. Just wondering what to expect there? We love guinea pigs and I think it would be fun to just go look and see them all. Do they sell alot of stuff at them, like toys, food (hoping to find some oxbow), etc.?

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
Probably not, It is gonna consist of alot of breeders with guinea pigs in tiny cages, not great condition.

bridgetb125

Cavy Slave
Ughh. Not what I pictured. Thanks for the heads up though.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
This forum is not showing-friendly.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
Nope, guinea pig shows are notorious for stressing out pigs, mistreatment, and breeders.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
wooh I was right !

Access

Cavy Slave
bridgetb125 said:
There is one near me tomorrow and i'm thinking about going. Just wondering what to expect there? We love guinea pigs and I think it would be fun to just go look and see them all. Do they sell alot of stuff at them, like toys, food (hoping to find some oxbow), etc.?
I do not think you will find any of those things. I once wandered into a show at the local fair (guinea pigs, bunnies, roosters, farm animals, etc.) About the only thing of interest is the different breeds of pigs and what they look like. Since you love pigs and care about their welfare, the show would be a bit distressing to say the least. You may see some unusual 'breeds' of pigs like hairless pigs or conjoined twins. That's all, really.

misspigglie

Cavy Slave
I went to one last month to pick up my new piggies from someone that did show hers. There were more bunnies than piggies, and not much room for movement in the cages for either:( There were cages for sale, books, water bottles, and vitamins. Not much of anything else. There was hardly any walking room between the aisles of cages. I did see a couple of cavy people having larger cages, but not many. It was really very crowded and noisy. It was stressful for me, wonder how the piggies & bunnies felt? I was there about 15 minutes, did not stick around.

CavyKind

Cavy Slave
Hubby and I have been to two local ones, years ago, out of curiosity, we do not show or breed and run a small guinea rescue in the UK.
I personally, wouldn't want to be involved in anything like that. The guineas spent long periods of time in very small pens in close proximity to each other, I am very strict about the quarantine of rescue piggies and so would not condone penning like that for a start.
As I remember many of the pigs were very relaxed on handling and well used to it, but quite a few, poor little things were terrrified and looked very stressed. Just my opninion....not my idea of fun...or I'd say a guinea pigs.
Wouldn't visit a show again...unless to check on the welfare aspect.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.