Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Four Piggies in a Two Story C&C Cage?

MomtoO&O

Cavy Slave
Currently, I have a 2X4 C&C Cage with two sows in it. (Side note- They are both expecting.) In the future, I would like to house them with two other sows (possibly two of their babies) but I am wondering if I would need to order a 2X5 C&C Cage and make my current cage the upper level?

Or, would two 2X4s on top of each other, with a ramp, be enough? That seems small to me for four sows, especially since the C&C Cages' site says upper levels decrease square footage.

Does anyone out there have 4 pigs in a two story? How did you do it?

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
For 4 sows you would need a base level of 2x5. Anything else (upperlevel) would be a bonus! :)

Personally - I find upper levels annoying! They can make cleaning hard and most of the time they were on the bottom level so there was little point.

jamie15701

Cavy Slave
Upper levels are harder to clean. I also read that guineas have poor depth perception and I worry about them falling. So no uppper level for me anymore! (they didn't really use it anyways)

ferndalezoo

Cavy Slave
I have 4 boars in a 3x5. I think 4 sows could do fine in a 2x5 (boys need more room). Our cage has a 1x3+1 upper level (L-shaped, on one of the short sides), with a ramp. This level is hinged, and lifts up, which makes cleaning easy. Our boys utilize the upper level extensively (It's the "kitchen"), and with the way I chose to support the loft (2 unbent grids attached perpendicularly), it doesn't actually take up much in the way of space on the ground level-- just kinda makes a little tunnel for them (mostly Wyatt) to hide under. Pics of my setup are in my gallery.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
I have 4 sows and 4 boars (separated of course). Ly has told me for 4 in a cage, it has to be a min of 2x6. Hope that helps.

fieryone

Cavy Slave
Personally - I find upper levels annoying! They can make cleaning hard and most of the time they were on the bottom level so there was little point.

Agreed! I had an upper level for about a week before I dismantled it and put my little loft back.

MomtoO&O, do you need to order another cage? Would you be able to get some grids to just add one (or two, which would be better) more grid length and attach a small piece of coro to the existing one to extend it? If coroplast is hard to find in your area, you could order a smaller piece on the internet. It's the large 4x8 pieces that are hard to find online and SUPER EXPENSIVE to ship. harborsales.net will sell single pieces of coroplast.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
4 sows- minimum of 2x5
4 boars- minimum of 2x6 as they are more territorial.

MomtoO&O

Cavy Slave
Agreed! I had an upper level for about a week before I dismantled it and put my little loft back.

MomtoO&O, do you need to order another cage? Would you be able to get some grids to just add one (or two, which would be better) more grid length and attach a small piece of coro to the existing one to extend it? If coroplast is hard to find in your area, you could order a smaller piece on the internet. It's the large 4x8 pieces that are hard to find online and SUPER EXPENSIVE to ship. harborsales.net will sell single pieces of coroplast.

This is a good idea. Thanks!

4 sows- minimum of 2x5
4 boars- minimum of 2x6 as they are more territorial.

Thank you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.