Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) Is 2 months too long?

LisaHoney

Cavy Slave
I've been on this site for about a month reading information that you all graciously provide. The major thing i've took in is that they need to be social.
I got my guinea pig in January '09 from a family getting rid of it.
I knew no information at the time, but again, thanks to the website i feel like a pro. Ok i'll get to the point.
I want to get another guinea pig, but i feel i will need time to build a bigger cage, research on shelters, and get the actual guinea pig.
If i wait until school ends in late June, will that be too long of a wait for my current guinea pig? How long can a guinea pig go isolated from other pigs?

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
It's best to finish researching and build a bigger cage before taking in a new pig. There's a much higher chance that they will fight if you put them in too small of a cage. Your pig will be okay until June.

Make sure you are positive of the sex of your current pig. Look up rescues and shelters in your area. It wouldn't hurt to contact them now and let them know that you're looking for a pig in a few months.

Don't forget that you'll have to quarantine the pig for 3 weeks in a separate room.

tehdoc809

Cavy Slave
Your Current cavy should be fine until then, just double up on the information you can find and on what akstrohm said.

Bambi5826

Cavy Slave
I have a question. If both pigs have recently been checked by a vet, would there still be a need for a 3 week quarantine?

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
I have a question. If both pigs have recently been checked by a vet, would there still be a need for a 3 week quarantine?

Yes, A vet check up is good, but it doesn't get everything. Pigs are very good at hiding their illnesses. You should do the quarantine to be safe.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
I've been on this site for about a month reading information that you all graciously provide. The major thing i've took in is that they need to be social.
I got my guinea pig in January '09 from a family getting rid of it.
I knew no information at the time, but again, thanks to the website i feel like a pro. Ok i'll get to the point.
I want to get another guinea pig, but i feel i will need time to build a bigger cage, research on shelters, and get the actual guinea pig.
If i wait until school ends in late June, will that be too long of a wait for my current guinea pig? How long can a guinea pig go isolated from other pigs?

I'd say take your time, do your research and do things when your comfortable. It's best for the piggies to be with someone knowledgable then someone who doesn't know what their doing with them. It's great your thinking of them and their health first!

LisaHoney

Cavy Slave
Ok thanks for everyone who gave their ideas.
Another quick question, she was born in august, so that would make her 8 months old now. Does anyone know if she will be okay with a friend after never sharing a space with one before? Are guinea pigs like people in a way that some just wont get along?

ferndalezoo

Cavy Slave
Our previous male, Phil (rest in peace, little dude) was well over 4 years old (possibly as old as 5 or 6) when he got his first "buddy". We don't know anything about his previous situation (he was abandoned in a box in a Petsmart parking lot) but we doubt he was ever housed with another pig. He and Greyson were buddies from the word go, and Greyson missed him accutely when he crossed the bridge.

Your girl will be okay until June, and I agree it's better to do it then, rather than trying to rush things.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
That's tough to say. I got my Pixie in March of last year and then got Arlo back in August. They had a love hate relationship. Of course we thought Arlo was a girl at first. They got along most of the time but had the odd spat here and there. But of course Arlo turned out to be a boy and Pixie got preggo in October so they ended up separated. When she had the babies, Arlo, after being alone for a bit and never met his babies, got along fine with them. We've never really have problems. It's a lot easier to get one younger, or at least we think so.

ferndalezoo

Cavy Slave
If your current pig is at least 6 or so months old, I definitely recommend getting a younger pig t obe their buddy. When we got Greyson (to be Phil's buddy), since we knew nothing of Phil's history with other pigs (we doubt he had one, to be honest) or of whether he'd be dominant, etc, we narrowed the search to a baby male. We ended up finding one that was being sold as snake food, and talked the guy into giving him to us instead. The baby, (Greyson, now 18 months old) was about 4 weeks old, and the two got along famously from the moment they met (at about 7 weeks, for Greyson, after quarantine).

Greyson, as it turned out, was the one with the dominant personality, so knowing that, after Phil crossed the bridge, when we started looking at shelters and rescues for a new buddy for him, again, we limited out search to baby males. Wyatt was about 4 weeks old when we brought him home, as well, and he and Greyson met when Wyatt (now 6 months old) was 7 weeks. They were fast friends.

That said, we recently (a few months ago) introduced a second bonded pair of boars into our cage (so it's now shared by 4 boars), and 3 of the 4 are the same age (about a year and a half). There's been some typical boy "jockeying for position" behaviour, but by and large, they've got on very well together.

LisaHoney

Cavy Slave
Okay thanks. Mine will be young still in June, so i'll try to get one around the same age as her. I'll definately make sure she is a female first though, because i dont want what happened to Amsley246 to happen to me. :p
Thanks everyone who posted their ideas to me. This forum is so helpful.
I've made up my mind that i will wait for school to end so i can full-heartedly spend all my time getting ready for another guinea pig. In the mean time i will keep checking shelters online to see if there is any young female guinea pigs i can adopt :)

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
I think you might have misread one of the posts. If possible, it is best to get a pig that is younger than her (a baby) rather than one the same age. Pigs the same age very often get along just fine, but a baby would be easiest to introduce. And yes, even though she has been alone until now she will almost certainly very much appreciate a friend. There are some pigs that don't get along with others, but this is extremely rare.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.