Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

? Pregnant?

Zoe09

Cavy Slave
Hi,

I got my 2nd Guinea pig two days ago she was housed with one female GP. When I was holding her this morning I could feel soft pokey movements inside on one side. I then tried to feel this on my other GP Zoe and she has no movements. My question is, is it possible she is not pregnant? She doesn't have any signs of being pregnant she has a soft belly which isn't pear shaped and her teats look the same as Zoe's. If they are only pregnant with one baby can they not show? I really hope she is not pregnant due to the health risks and she is a small guinea pig. I think she is young but thats going on her size not anything else. I read you can feel quickening around 6-7weeks gestation. If she were pregnant and this gestation shouldn't see look pregnant? If she doesn't look pregnant but she is does that mean she will have a very small litter and possibly only one large baby? Could I just be panicking and feeling bowel movements?

I would weigh her weekly. Watch for lots of weight gain. I'm no expert on pregnancy. I have one who is pregnant now. I weigh her weekly and she gains every week. Hopefully someone else who is more experienced will post soon. Good luck.

Who long have you had her for and what do you know about her history before you got her? If she was ever with another male, very possible. You are correct about how they start to show around 6 weeks. They can have anywhere from 1-8 babies but usually the first litter is small. The best way to find out for sure is to go visit the vet. There they can do an ultra sound.

Did you get her from a private home or pet store? If it was either, there's a good chance she could be pregnant. Can you take her to a cavy-savvy vet? They should be able to give you a better idea of her age and whether or not she is pregnant.

I will be taking them both to the Vet however unfortunately our vets are large animal vets so I am concerned how good they will be. Problem with Remote Country town its cattle country so all the vets are good with cows and horses its a concern especially if she were pregnant and needs a vet. I felt her again last night and I can definately feel pokey movements which feels like babies I don't think only one would be wiggling as much as what her tummy was wiggling so I am sure she is pregnant. I know she was housed with one other female she was on her way to the pet shop when I got her along with her female friend who went to someone else. A friend got her for me knowing I was after another one for a companion for Zoe. I got her on the 20th April so 4days ago today. She is only a small GP so I would expect her to look pregnant especially when now I think there must be more then one wiggley pig in there. I am very worried for her. Ill be enquiring about vets in my friends town as maybe she could visit there till they are born where there should be a cavy-savvy vet there.

Just updating. Patch was pregnant. She had her two babies this morning there sooooo cute and just like their mum. They are exactly the same colour even their markings are very similar. So I would love them both to be girls as I am keeping only girls. If not then my sister is going to have them as she has two boys and said she was happy to have another one. I am so pleased things went well and their were no complications and also pleased she only had two as there both strong and I wont have to find homes for either of them. If she had a big litter I would have had too. So its such a relief.

Congrats! I'm glad to hear everything turned out well!

Can't wait to see some pigtures!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.