Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Would putting my cavy's run next to anothers be good for him?

willow2

Cavy Slave
Hi,
I have quite an old male guinea pig named spice (he is at least 7 1/2 but as he is a rescue he may be older) he has been on his own for around a year now.
My next door neighbours have two female guinea pigs too and I was wondering if it would be nice for us to put their runs side by side so they could talk to each other. There run is a triangle shape and ours a rectangle so they wouldn't be able to touch.
Would this be a good/nice thing for him, I love him dearly but I cant face getting anymore Piggy's at the moment so he has to stay on his own so I am trying to make this as nice as possible!

thanks
willow2

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Is your pig kept outside at all times or is this a run that he is in just for an hour or so under supervision? Guinea pigs should *not* be kept outside all the time. There are many threads here outlining the reasons.

If you do put them next to each other, make sure you are 100% positive that your pig cannot get to the females. He could be much more determined to get out if there are females nearby. A lid would be best. Also you'll need to make sure that the owners of the females are knowledgeable about signs of illness and that the pigs are disease- and parasite-free.

willow2

Cavy Slave
He only goes out for a few hours a day (if it nice out) he is in a succure run thats safe from cats and dogs ect. Their pigs are well cared for so it should be fine.
Thankyou for your help!

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Sounds good!

4piggers

Cavy Slave
I set play pens next to one another often, they will sniff at each other through the squares.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.