Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Any suggestions?

Scarlettexeyes

Cavy Slave
Right now, my bedding is a layer of pee-pee pads, and a layer of fleece.

However, I've noticed that if I dont clean the cage every 3-4 days, it seems that the pee-pee pads have absorbed all they can take. I'd like to do spot cleanings everyday as I am, but do major cleanings every friday.

I've used towels in the past, but they've molded, and stunk up the entire room.

Are there such things as SUPER XXL thick pee-pee pads, or any alternative to towels? I've heard of mattress pads, but isnt that basically a towel?

I used just normal everyday bath towels, they werent extra thick or anything, is there a special towel perfect for pee absorbtion?

Any advice would be great!

lissie

Cavy Slave
I've been reading about using cloth diapers for the cage on this thread.
I was interested in these materials: Bamboo Fabric, Hemp Fabric, and Microfiber.
I have not tried any of them. I've just placed an order on Amazon for Microfiber automotive cleaning cloth, I plan to use them (combine with suedecloth) in the kitchen area and under the hideys.

Bamboo Diaper Fabric

Bamboo is one of the newest diaper fabrics in the cloth diapering world. Bamboo is very absorbent, naturally anti-bacterial, and won't hold odors. It has a very silky and luxurious feel and stays soft wash after wash. Bamboo is also very environmentally friendly!

Hemp Diaper Fabric

Hemp is a hardworking cloth diaper fabric! Most hemp is 55% hemp and 45% cotton - the cotton helps keeps the hemp soft and supple. Hemp/cotton fabric is stronger, more durable and more absorbent than 100% cotton fabric of the same weight. Plus hemp has natural antibacterial properties- good news considering what it absorbs!

Microfiber Diaper Fabric

Microfiber is usually 75% polyester 25% polyamide, and is a great diaper fabric for soakers and inners. It traps moisture between its fibers and can absorb up to 8 times its weight in liquid! Light and thin, microfiber dries quickly and gets more absorbent with use. Avoid using microfiber next to baby because it can dry out baby's skin.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
As long as your towels are a 100% cotton they should absorb the urine. I use 3 or 4 layers and mine never mold and I clean it out every 6-8 days.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.