Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Litter Training How on earth do you litter train you piggy? Is 6 months too old???

kalu1

Cavy Slave
I have a 6 month old pig...I didnt know you could litter train them...how do you? and is 6 months too old??:love:

MomtoO&O

Cavy Slave
From what I have read on here, it is something that people try but is very hard to do. I think that pigs kind of go when they want, where they want. Others on here with more experience may be able to give you more advice though.

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
What I know is that my Guinea Pig Carly(who I bought from Petco) was already litter trained. I just don't have a thing for it. If you make a litter box or buy one then if you see that your Guinea Pig has gone in there, reward them.

Saskafrass

Cavy Slave
The weird thing is I just got mine three days ago and I used bedding for the first two days then changed to fleece and put a small litter box in the cage and I only see a few poops on the fleece and there are alot in the litterbox, so I dont know why but I guess he figuered out that the bedding is for the washroom xD.

ferndalezoo

Cavy Slave
Consider yourself lucky. It happens, but it's kinda like human kids that potty train themselves at a year old--- every now and then it happens, and it's cool when it does, but by and large, cavies (and human 1-year olds) can't really be "potty trained".

goldbryant

Cavy Slave
I use fleece and a small pan of carefresh under the hay rack.
Although they still poop all over, I am guessing that a good amt of pee is ending up in the carefresh. We were having a hard time going 7 days with just fleece. Now it's no problem at all. I mean, yes, it's ready to be changed out, but it's not starting to stink by day 5 anymore.

I also have small fleece topped pads that I leave under the piggloos. I change those out every other day too.

So far, so good.

Pulsepoint129

Cavy Slave
Yeah. Mine likes to go where he sleeps! I've tried and tried, but...tried as I may have, he likes to poop where he likes to poop. I just call him a "silly giggie" as he popcorns away while I clean up his poops.

SheriMartini

Cavy Slave
I just got my c&c a few day ago, and my Fajita seems to use the hay rack and the small litter box I have in there primarily. It kinda stinks I have to change out the hay a couple times a day, but I guess it is better than having to clean up a million little poops all over the cage! But for the most part he goes pee on the carefresh, which makes my life a LOT easier!

lissie

Cavy Slave
The weird thing is I just got mine three days ago and I used bedding for the first two days then changed to fleece and put a small litter box in the cage and I only see a few poops on the fleece and there are alot in the litterbox, so I dont know why but I guess he figuered out that the bedding is for the washroom xD.

My pigs were like that too when I first switched over to fleece. I guess they were just not used to the fleece. Now they go everywhere.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.