Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Genitals I found three small spots of blood in my newly cleaned cage

pringles70

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone. I am hoping someone can help me. One of my pigs, Cinnamon, seems to have a small amount of bleeding from her genitals (I think).

I had cleaned their cage and they've been back in there about an hour. I stopped by the cage to give them a little visit and I noticed a small drop of fresh blood in the cage. Also in one corner there is a smear of blood that seems, umm mucousy I guess is the right word.

Any idea what that may be? They are both eating, drinking, playing normally. I know there hasn't been a fight, so what could it be?

EDIT: I just checked her out again really good and it is coming from her genitals! Help!!!

Last edited:
You need to take her to a cavy savy vet asap.

You need to take her to a cavy savy vet asap.

I understand that, I was just hoping for some idea what we are facing here. Thanks

I have seen this before. Are the two guinea pigs girls? Do a check by pressing slightly on their lower stomach and see if a "Y" shape appears. If something shows like the testicles (males) and or the other thins, your piggy could be pregnant! Go for it and take her to the vet, but maybe before you got her something was wrong with her, like put into a cage with a male! This also happens when the guinea pig is too young and cannot give birth so it will bleed small amounts.

I have seen this before. Are the two guinea pigs girls? Do a check by pressing slightly on their lower stomach and see if a "Y" shape appears. If something shows like the testicles (males) and or the other thins, your piggy could be pregnant! .

yes they are both girls. I've had them sexed and I've sexed them myself. I will take her to the vet tomorrow afternoon if she is still spotting. I called my vet and that was her advice.

I hope your piggie is alright!!! Hopefully it's nothing serious.

I hope she's alright Please let us know after the vet visit?

Just thought I would give you guys and update on Cinnamon. I tried last night putting her in a small cage with a light colored towel so I could watch her more closely. That stressed our little girl Jake out way too much that I just put Cinnamon back in with her but put the towel in their cage. I filled their water bottle up to the fullest, so I could see if they were drinking water (jake has never been a big water drinker), and this morning there is about 5 ounces left from a 16oz bottle.

This morning I woke up and checked on my girl and there was dried blood caked in the genital area (wow, that's gross. sorry). I used a warm wet rag to clean that off and it smelled strongly of urine. I'm thinking UTI.

I have an appointment with our vet at 2pm today, at which time they will both get a full check-up. I will update you all when I get back from the vet and get the girls settled in.

EDIT- Where is this site located that I posted that at 8:47 am (cst) and it says 6:47 am? Oh wait, that's the west coast?

Ok, I am back from the vet. She said everything looks good, but that I should watch her for a few more days and return on Monday for a follow up.

She seems alot better this afternoon with no new spotting and no pink urine, so I think whatever it is has passed.

Thank you everyone for your concern. Oh, and she weighs 413.7 grams. Now if I can only find a way to convert that to ounces or pounds.

Ok, I am back from the vet. She said everything looks good, but that I should watch her for a few more days and return on Monday for a follow up.

She seems alot better this afternoon with no new spotting and no pink urine, so I think whatever it is has passed.

Thank you everyone for your concern. Oh, and she weighs 413.7 grams. Now if I can only find a way to convert that to ounces or pounds.

I'm glad to hear she is doing better.

Guinealynx has a conversion chart, but it isn't ounce by ounce to gram by gram, it chunks them. You could use google. Just go to the main page type in 413.7 grams to ounces and hit go. 413.7 grams to ounces - Google Search

453.59 grams is one pound, so she does not even weigh a pound.

I'm glad to hear she is doing better.

Guinealynx has a conversion chart, but it isn't ounce by ounce to gram by gram, it chunks them. You could use google. Just go to the main page type in 413.7 grams to ounces and hit go.

Yes, i found one. She weighs 14.5928 ounces. I need to get a better scale for home. Mine doesn't go small enough, or for that matter large enough when they become bigger.

Just an update. After the first vet visit, where they did no tests whatsoever, I watched her the rest of the day. The next morning she was no better so I found a more cavy savy vet.

Long story short, she has a UTI and is now on Bactrim for ten days. She's much better as this is her second day of meds. YAY!!

I'm so glad that she is doing better! One of my pigs is named cinnamon too! (only mine's a boy... It's a very masculine name, isn't it?) :D

*LOL* very masculine. I have a girl named Jake, so it all makes perfect sense.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.