Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Question

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
I might be getting 2 young guinea pigs under 6 months and I was wondering if there is any other way to baby proof the cage other than putting 2 grids together.

You can also make the coroplast walls higher. Then, if you want you can always trim them down. I do think it would be wise though to take the extra precaution and double up the grids if you can. I know when my girl was still small should could stretch up quite high.

When my girls were smaller I put pieces of cardboard between the grids and the sides. It's rather unsightly, but it was an easy to do and effective.

Also if you can find these grids, I used them for my Lola's quarantine cage so that I didn't have to make a side. I got them at Bed Bath & Beyond. I now use them for their floor time area because Lola got through the regular grids when she was smaller.

Thanks. I already have the grids. I got them from target a couple months ago. It had 10 regular grids and 10 grids that had 2 inch spaces in them so I can't double them up and I dont really want to spend alot of money to buy another set of them, but i guess I will if I have to. Oh and I Just found out that I am Getting the two guinea pigs in about two weeks.

Even the "regular sized" grids in that pack are too big and the ones with the 2" squares are way too big. The chrome colored grids from Target are all the same, correct size. The smaller ones in the pack you got have larger than recommended squares as well. If you notice they have 8 squares across instead of the recommended 9. One of my pigs went through the recommended size grids (9 across). You said it's been a few months since you got them, but maybe the exchange time hasn't run out yet. If not, I would return them for the chrome colored ones. If they don't have them, then you can also get the same grids at Bed Bath & Beyond and maybe even Wal Mart. If the time HAS run out then you may want to get another pack and double up all of the grids with the larger 2" ones in the back. They may cross in the right places to make the overall holes smaller.

Really? The spaces are 1 1/2 inches wide but they have 8 squares across. *Sigh* I cannot return them because I already used the box.

Really? The spaces are 1 1/2 inches wide but they have 8 squares across. *Sigh* I cannot return them because I already used the box.

If you're keeping them, you can always use them to make a stand for the cage. The pigs won't have direct access to them, and it's a cheap and easy way to get the cage up off the floor.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.