Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n What's on your plate?

crittermom

Cavy Slave
In the interest of promoting vegetarianism, I thought it would be helpful for current veg*ns to list a sample day's menu so that the curious can see what there is to eat! I'll go first....

Breakfast, Saturday 6:30 am
Kashi Heart to Heart cereal ~ similar to Cheerios but yummier :)
1/2 oz. chopped walnuts
Silk soymilk
orange juice
multivitamin

Midmorning ~ Starbucks soy latte

Lunch, 11:30 am
Refried bean burrito on whole-wheat tortilla with picante sauce and veggies
Romaine salad with viniagrette dressing
Kiwi and cantaloupe

Pre-workout, 1:30 pm
Pria bar

Post-workout, 3:00 pm
cookies and soymilk ;)

Dinner, 7:00 pm
Baked potato topped with Morningstar Farms veggie "meat" crumbles, broccoli, and picante sauce
Diet Coke

Now, most days I'm pretty well-behaved nutrition-wise, but even when I'm not I don't stray too far from the above example ~ I just might have more candy or other treats. :)

I guess I was pretty much vegan today, I'm not sure about the Pria bar and cookies but overall it looks close. I'm actually lacto-ovo.

OK, who's next?

kalrik

Cavy Slave
I am probably the world's unhealthiest vegetarian. Yesterday I had:

Bkft: Buffalo wings from morningstar with honey

Snack: 3 pretzal sticks

Dinner: little caesar's cheese pizza and breadsticks. I took off most of the cheese on the pizza, I am not vegan, but I am lactose intolerant and can't have a lot of dairy.

Thats more like a carb-itarian diet, isn't it?

The other day was a bit better though:

Bkft: Campbell's Soup at Hand velvety potato.

Lunch: Peas and carrots and a chicken pattie from Morningstar.

Snack: Popcorn and a few m&ms

Dinner: Ramen Noodles, Oriental Style (whichever company doesn't use chicken broth, I forget)

heabrook

Cavy Slave
Breakfast:
Cereal: Puffed Millet, Puffed Rice and Puffed Kamut
Silk unsweetened soymilk
Hemp protein blend
toast (sometimes) with non-dairy butter

Lunch:
Salad --- greens, cucumbers, carrot and celery
Miso dressing
I ALWAYS have a salad. The other part of the meal varies.
Example: Lentils & Rice, Tofu burger, Veggie Soup (No tomatoe)

Dinner:
Salad --- see above
steamed broccoli topped w/ earth balance (non-dairy butter) and
nutritional yeast.
Pasta (brown rice, no wheat - no gluten) OR corn pasta

If I have a snack at any point during the day:
rice cake with almond butter

Himino

Cavy Slave
Breakfast:
Frosted Flakes wilk silk soy milk.

Lunch:
1 Moringstar Chik'n Patty on a bun with mayo.

Dinner:
Garlic Bread with non-diary cheese, Piece of Shepards Pie made w/ non-meat meat crumbles.

Snack:
15 Cheese-its

Emily F.

Cavy Slave
Breakfast- Usually nothing

Lunch- Usually a couple peanut butter crackers

Dinner- Whatever my mom makes(sometimes I don't eat it)

That's my everyday meals

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Breakfast-- during the week, I eat at school, so it is either cheesebread, half a bagel with cream cheese, cereal with/without milk, or toast, with either milk, chocolate milk, or a fruit juice.

On weekends and breaks, I eat at home. Therefore, my options are significantly increased. I can eat a bagel with cream cheese, cereal with milk or soymilk, instant oatmeal (I love the Women's Health ones--they have soy protein, iron and calcium), toast with any topping, waffles, pancakes, eggs, the list goes on and on. For breakfast, there really isn't much of a change. I'll post more in a bit (The pigs are wheeking to be fed!)

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
For lunch-- during the week, I have to pack a lunch. Some options are a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, black bean burger (cooked ahead of time), and a black bean burger wrap (crumble a precooked black bean burger, and add toppings like lettuce, cheese, salsa, sour cream, peppers, etc.). I almost always pack a Balance Bar in with my lunch. These are energy bars (vegetarian source of protein) that have 25% iron, 25-30% protein, along with TONS of other vitamins and minerals. To top it all off, they come in many flavors that taste like candy bars--cookies and cream, chocolate peanut butter, rocky road, mocha chip, triple chocolate extreme, etc. Yum!

For a drink, I either just drink out of the water bottle I always bring with me to classes, fruit juice, or gatorade. You can choose what you want here, of course.

I have a fruit: a yogurt, apple, clementine, orange, banana, fruit cup (prepackaged), etc.

That's usually all, but this can be experimented with. On the weekends, or on breaks, I usually eat something similar to dinner.

Snacks: Fruit snacks, a balance bar, granola bar, yogurt, granola (sometimes mixed w/yogurt), fruit, crackers, etc. Again, this isn't too much of a problem for vegetarians.

Dinner-- Some kind of soy product: chik'n patty, chik'n nuggets, "burger", black bean burger, pizza burger, "sausage", "bratwurst", etc. etc. Pizza has endless toppings: soy meats can go on top, as well as peppers, pineapple, mushroom, zucchini, olives, and so on. Pasta dishes are great, and sides such as couscous, rice, potato salad, vegetarian-style baked beans, whatever you like can be served.

I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but I thought it might help nonetheless.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.