Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ramps Tip for pigs new to ramp

melpig

Cavy Slave
Hello,

I've been looking through the photos to get ideas for my cage and noticed some people mentioning that some piggies are reluctant to use their ramps. I thought I'd list this tip in case it helps someone else.

My two piggies are quite young (two months old) and while quite curious, they were reluctant to try the ramp I added to their cage/home. I made it by scoring a 18" x 28" piece of corrupaged plastic, forming two 6" sides and a 6" wide base/floor. It's 28" from the ground level to the loft. They would stand at the bottom but not climb up. After a few days I had an idea.

Because they really like covered hiding spots, I then tried putting a piece of corrugated plastic over the open ramp to make it a tunnel. Sure enough, one immediately ventured up the ramp, popcorned around the loft and then ran down to report to the other one. They then both ventured upstairs and have enjoyed the ramp every since. It seems they just needed to feel more secure/hidden when going up and down.

So, if your guinea pigs seem afraid of the ramp, try adding a roof so it forms a tunnel, and see if that helps. I made mine easy to remove so I can clean the ramp as needed.

Thanks to everyone who contributes to this site. I've learned so much and have found a lot of inspiration.

Mel

My little guy (7 months) went right up...it was my older boy who was afraid. Now he does pretty good but needs a little bit of a running start!

My youngest boar (6 mths) has apparently claimed his stake to the upper floor. He's up there all the time and will run to the hut up there and hide when I open the cage and try to catch him. I've seen my older boar (2yrs) go up the ramp once and I think that was just to see what was up there. Since then he can't be bothered, but he's pretty lazy all around so I'm not at all surprised.

I made my ramp from 2 bent grids and cable-tied an offcut of carpet to it. When the 'zoomy' urge hits them, my boys love running up and down it!

Claire, sounds like my guys....I never know where they are...up, down, up, down. My ramp is the same with 2 bent grids and I zip tied some fleece, they sure do love it. My older guy doesn't like the ramp but my 2 young guys really like it. They didn't need to much encouragement. Just a push and an introduction is all my guys needed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.