Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Large sized cavies

T

Tiffcavylover

Large sized cavies

Does anyone have large sized pigs? I have one by the name of Rusty. He's the biggest pig I've ever seen. He's bigger than the average one and he eats alot too. Does anyone have any clue about large pigs? Like where they come from or are there certain breeds that grow large than others.

He also has a bad attitude at times too. But he is the father of my female's babies and I was wondering if that had anything to do with it. At the moment the female is pregnant again and I already read the link about breeding and it made me cry.

Now I don't want to give away the two males from the previous litter. They are a little over two months old now and they get along just fine and I'm already attached to them. If I don't find a home for the new babies, I will just keep them too. I'd rather do that then have them abused elsewhere.

After reading that breeding page, I almost cried. I'm so glad that the person who posted that link for me did. Because I didn't know how bad it was with the breeding and all. Thanks again. I never would have known. I am gonna think twice now.

I will have Rusty neutered so that he can have a happy life with my female Samantha. The other two babies are named Lucky and Midnight. They are going to stay with me for sure now.:D

S

semcavylover

big pigs...

How much do your pigs weigh? I have two pigs that are three pounders. They aren't heavy, they are just big.

I'm happy to hear you are neutering your male. If you go to guinealynx.com, you will find a section called vet finder or finding a good vet; this may help you narrow down your search for a really good gp vet that can neuter your male. Also go to cavyspirit's neutering site!

Attachments

8.jpg 7.jpg
T

Tiffcavylover

Re: big pigs...

Hi!

On average my pigs usually weighed 1-2 pounds. But rusty weigh 2.5 almost 3. But he's not fat or heavy. He's just big. He's the hugest I've ever seen. It looks like he's gotten even bigger since I brought him home too. I felt so sorry for him. I was in the pet store shopping one day and decided to look at their guinea pigs. When I saw him, I fell in love with him. He also had a cut leg. The cut was so deep, you could see his meat. Good thing I didn't have to take him in for surgery. They just told me to put some bactine and peroxide on it. It looked as if someone had cut it on purpose. That's what really pisses me off. Cruelty to anaimas so I took him in. They told me that he was donated. I bet someone got sick and tired of him and cut him and brought him there. But he has a happy home now.
Do you know anything about why some of them are so big? Also, does your pigs have huge appetites? Thanks for the info on finding a good vet. :)

S

semcavylover

How long have you had Rusty? Are you sure he is male and not a female, only asking because you say he seems to be getting bigger and bigger. I think some are bigger just because of genetics. My pigs have good appetites, but I don't think they eat over the "norm".
That's terrible about his leg. You're right, there are a number of things that could have happened to him. It could have been anything from a wire bottom cage to a fight with another pig? Sometimes you can just never tell. I hope it is healed, just make sure that the area keeps as sterile as possible until it completely heals, just in case it isn't yet. Infections, especially on feet or legs can be extremely difficult to handle. I wish you and him the best of luck!

A

AngelicumCavy

larged

I've heard some bloodlines can get up to a pound or a pound and a half. what o you think?

T

Tiffcavylover

Re: larged

I've had Rusty for a few months now. I bought him last year in September. I'm sure he's a male. The body parts already prove that. LOL! But it seems like since I brought him home from the pet store, he just got longer. But he's not at all overweight. As soon as I got him home from the pet store, I followed the vet's instructions and he was fine. I didn't have to get him surgery. The vet just told me to put the bactine and peroxide on him. He's in perfect health today.:)

Attachments

Audrey x.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.