Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Adopted 2 piggies

dmcgloin

Cavy Slave
So we just adopted 2 piggies from a girl who could not care for them.
She had them both in a small store bought cage... one is a baby, 4 weeks old, the other is 6 months old. Both female. We've had them with us now for 3 days but they are terrified of us.
We got a grid style cage to put them in.. its 2 x 4... but we don't have the bottom sheet stuff yet, so they are in there during the day with fleece and towels and toys and hay and food and carrots and such... but they hide all day in their igloo..... we've put them out in the livingroom and talked sweety and are trying to get them to be more social and come out of hiding... but no luck yet. They come out to eat...and the minute they hear us, they run into hiding agian....:confused:
Any suggestions? Tomorrow we will have the bottom part of the grid cage, so they will be in there permanently...and won't ahve to go back into that tiny store bought cage again.....

Is it just time we need to get them to interact with us?????

jenniwat001

Cavy Slave
Firstly well done for adopting the two little piggies. Secondly how did she end up with a 4 week old! Be really careful with the baby pig that they can't fit through the grids (or try) because they could get stuck or injured-make the sides of the floor really high but cut a bit out for the water bottle.

I think it really is time they need- the little girl you got them from probably didn't handle them much or could have done it incorrectly. Take it slowly but make sure you handle them lots, gently and try feeding them there favorite snack, they wont stay and eat it at first but so long as you move slowly and talk calmly they will come round!

We have had a rescue pig (our 3rd) for 6 weeks now, and she has only recently styed out of her hidey hole! But she now eats off our laps, where as to begin with she was so scared she couldn't even tremble!

Good luck with the new pigs and let us know how you get on.

jenmichelle

Cavy Slave
I've had my piggy for a month, and he is just now getting sociable. He had that exact behavior in the beginning but is now warming up to us a little. I still fetched him out of his cage to hold him though, I wanted him to get used to being handled. Good luck with the new piggies!

dmcgloin

Cavy Slave
She had the mom too (horrible, mom, the 6 month old, and a baby all in one store bought cage)
anyway...the mom just passed away...... and I adopted the baby and the 6 month old. They are just beautiful....and when i'm holding close to me...they squek and talk and are fine... but in their house they hide from us....

jenniwat001

Cavy Slave
So how did the mom get pregnant? You are sure they are both girls...sounds like you did the best thing ever by taking them away from her. Is there cage on the floor? If it is it might just be that they need time to get used to your towering figure looming over the little things. Mine used to run terrified into the pigloo every time we came near, but they have ot used to the sight and sound of us now.

dmcgloin

Cavy Slave
ya it is on the floor......i try and sit next to them though.....
hopefully it will get better in a few weeks.

They said mom was pregnant when they got her. They didn't have long... They got mom and the other one i have just a few months ago....

girlypigs

Cavy Slave
We've had our pigs just over a week and ours are/were the same. But day by day I have noticed that they are less jumpy. Don't get me wrong they still get startled and run to the hidey as soon as we come in the room but when they realise that it us, their meal ticket, they come out again pretty quickly. We all try to sit near the cage and talk to them so they are familiar with our voices and I find that if I come into the room and talk to them before coming over to the cage they are less likely to bolt into the hidey. I agree with the other members in that I would handle them daily and naked bribery works wonders. We save their carrot allowance for lap time treats. I have also made it a rule that the kids do not put their hands in the cage and harass them unecessarily I think they need to feel safe and develop a trust. By the way our girls are similar ages to yours. We have a 4/5month yr old and a 4 week baby! I'm getting a little concerned because mother kicked the baby out of the hidey last night and this morning we found her in a different part of the cage in a cuddle sack. So much for motherly love!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.