Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mom and Baby different foods?

girlypigs

Cavy Slave
Hi, We are getting a mom and baby from a local shelter in the next few weeks and I was wondering about the logistics of feeding them different hays and pellets. If I have read the posts correctly the baby should have unlimited alphalfa and the mother, timothy hay. How do I do this? Is in no big deal if they eat each other's food? Also do they require different pellets too?

Thank you so much for your help.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Baby needs timothy hay as well. When my mama had her babies, I just threw the hay in and let them go at it. Babies can eat whatever the adults eats. They know what they want, either it be milk, pellets (whatever the mom eats for pellets), or veggies. Don't worry, it's not that hard, I freaked at first too lol.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
What you can do for pellets is mix alfalfa and timothy pellets together, and the mom can eat them to. For hay just keep it a grass hay. I know it's best if the baby has unlimited pellets, so you could make the pellets unlimited until the baby is over 6 months, but I don't know if that would be okay for the mom.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.