Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Potty Training

piggers_sienna

Cavy Slave
I have had my piggys for a couple years now and I recently discovered this website. I just built my new cage a few weeks ago and it is working great. I've been searching forever on getting a new cage and I just couldn't find one that made me happy...untill this site. I was wondering though since my pigs poo everywhere how can you potty train them? I have a litter box and they use it and I keep it clean but they also poo everywhere else

Tserisa

Cavy Slave
Most guinea pigs can't be potty trained. They'll be potty trained if they want to be. Sweep or vacuum up the loose poos daily and/or put the poos in the litter box. But most piggies will just go everywhere.

ali's_pigs123

Cavy Slave
Potty Training can be done, and has been done, but from what I hear it is very time consuming, and you need alot of patience and persistence.
You would just be better off probably dealing with the poop everywhere.

piggers_sienna

Cavy Slave
Well as of right now I don't have a job so I am home all the time. I would at least like to try to potty train. My one GP Piggers used to go in one corner all the time then I put a litter box there and she would use it 90 percent of the time. But when I got Sienna there was poo everywhere.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Litter training can only be done if the pig wants to be potty trained, and most of the time even when they are, they aren't 100% litter trained. To do so, your pig has to use certain corner(s) and when you find out what corner(s) those are you put litter box(es) in those corner(s). To help, you can have a "Kitchen," where you have shavings and that is where all the hay, food and water is, or you can have trays under the hay rack(s), and water bottle(s) and in one of those trays is where they are fed their daily pellets, and veggies, or just trays under the water bottle(s) and hay rack(s) as well as a kitchen or just a kitchen.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Even those few members who have managed to potty train their pigs, mostly they just pee in one area and still poo wherever they want. It's pretty much impossible to train a pig to both pee and poo exclusively in a litter box.

moma_freak

Cavy Slave
Out of the 4 cavies I've had only one actually used the litterbox exclusively, so I agree with pretty much everyone that it just depends. Some get the idea and some just don't. Beleive it or not my girl pretty much trained herself, she only went in one corner, so thats were the box went, and she just continued to go there. Right now I'm working with the two girls I currently have and so far they only pee in it, but I guess in reality thats better then nothing.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.