Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Litter Training Litter Box Training

SusanPigs

Cavy Gazer
I have a 4 year old guinea pig who I would like to litter box train, I have a bit of a plan, but I'd like it checked and extra tips would be appreciated. Also, I would like to know if they can still be trained at this age.

I used carefresh bedding, after she's trained I'd like to switch to fleece. The first thing I would like to do is, when it come time to do a full bedding change, put some of the old bedding (not from a super dirty area, though) in a small box and place her hide in to or close to it. I will also place it in the corner she seems to go to the bathroom in the most, which happens to be where her water and hay is. As she seems to use it more, I'll transition half of the cage to fleece (the side without the litter box). I'm not really sure what else I should do, I've read a few articles, but haven't gained the full knowledge.

What the cage is like: water bottle, hay, pellet/veggie bowl, and two hides. It is about 3.25' by 2', a little small, I know. It was the largest one I could find that was secure and didn't have large gaps between the bar/wire wall things. I keep snakes, and even though they are locked in their own cages, I figured it safest to keep her in a secure cage as well, just in case there was an escape. I don't want them to eat her. There is about 2" of bedding.

If there's anything else you'd like to know, just ask and I'll do my best to clarify/answer.

Thank you

It can't be done. If she's cooperative, she'll pick a place she likes to do her business, and you can put a litter pan there to catch it. If she's not, she won't, and there'll be nothing you can do about it.

Guinea pigs poop and pee the most where they eat and sleep, so if you can confine those areas somehow, it may make it easier.

It can't be done. If she's cooperative, she'll pick a place she likes to do her business, and you can put a litter pan there to catch it. If she's not, she won't, and there'll be nothing you can do about it.

Guinea pigs poop and pee the most where they eat and sleep, so if you can confine those areas somehow, it may make it easier.

Thank you. I was hoping I could find a way, but I had read some contradicting views and experiences, so I wasn't positiveit would work anyways. I may still give it a try, just to see if she'll work with me at all, I just won't expect too much success.

Since she's used to carefresh, she might prefer to use the carefresh side.

Some pigs like to poop and pee in a covered area. If you drape a piece or fleece over the corner like a tent, she might use it.

I tried it with my boar and not to say he's fully trained but it has helped a lot and he does use it but that's not to say he exclusively uses it by any means. He still poops quite a bit by his houses but he seems to at least pee in it generally.
I use a storage tote(23.5"x17.5"x4") that I cut out an entrance in the side, his hay, both food dishes n water are all in there. I have wood pellets with carefresh in it.
BTW, he's a little over a yr and I just started using it about 2 months now. Maybe I just got lucky cause he really took to it quite well but I also had one in his playpen before I did in his cage so that may have helped. Either way I'm happy n he seems to be good with it too. :)
I do have a new pair of brothers that I am gonna try to start this week and hopefully they will take to it too but I think their gonna be a little more challenging, lol fingers crossed for both of us!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Thank you, I'll see what she let's me do, hopefully she'll corporate and at least do most in the litter box.

I've read before that it naturally happens a little easier with guinea pigs that live by themselves, compared to when there are multiple. Of course, socially speaking, it's not best to keep a guinea pig by itself. I had one by herself for maybe four months while we were looking for the right partner, and she tended to mostly go in one area of her cage. But ever since I've had the two of them, they go all over the place all the time :)

You can anticipate where they're going to do their business and reinforce those areas with a litter tray or extra fleece.

For example, I know they like to sit in the left corner of the loft and downstairs in their corner curtains a lot - so I switch out pee pads and extra bits of fleece in those spots to keep the actual cage liner cleaner a lot longer.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.