Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi everyone!

CinnamonSugar

Cavy Slave
Hello! My name is Julie and I've had my piggy for two weeks now! (I say MY but technically he's my daughter's...) He is so awesome! I'm really not sure what we did without him! I just got a C&C cage and Cinnamon is loving it! I'm investigating the whole fleece bedding option as it seems to be more cost effective. If anyone has an advice I'd appreciate it. This is also my first forum that I've joined! So I might need some help with that too!

Hi, congrats & welcome
to GPC & your new addition to the family.

Hope you find this site helpful like I do.

P.S. Its great that you have build a C&C cage... do share some pics. Oh, if you only have a single piggy... are you planning on adopting one more??? Like have your own pig too?

Welcome!

Piggies do much better in pairs so I wouild look into adopting one from a rescue. Same sex of course!

Thanks for your welcome! We just have the one piggy now - we got him (?) free off Craigslist and he arrived to us in a tupperware container! We did things backward in that we got the piggy FIRST and now we're finding out info. Oh well. I've seen posts that piggies are very social but we're not sure at all whether this one is a boy or a girl. I certainly don't want to wind up with tons of piggies! Any tips for determining whether it's a boy or a girl?

Thanks for the links! Anyone want to come help? :eek:

If you can't figure it out, you can always post a picture and we can help you.

Thanks for the offer - here's a really stupid question. Do male and female piggies have nipples? I flipped Cinnamon over and examined things. I'm pretty sure I did NOT see boy parts and I noticed two nipples on the lower belly. Does this mean my "he" is a she?

They both have nipples.

Hey -

I think I messed up. I wanted to post a picture here and it wound up under "Guinea Pigs". Sorry everyone! I didn't mean to offend anyone. After it posted I couldn't figure out how to delete it. (Can you tell I'm new at this forum thing?) Anyway - I posted a picture of Cinnamon's privates - if you could let me know if we have a boy or a girl I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Definitely looks male to me!
If you feel around right above his private area you should be able to feel a "ridge" underneath the skin. That would be his penis.

I have three males myself, they're real charmers! Do you have any idea of his age? Typically males pair better old/young. The gap in age tends to help with any possible dominance and bickering they may encounter.

I'm not really sure how old he is - apparently he was a classroom piggy for a year and then it went to one person - and then to the person that I got him from. Poor thing had been in a tupperware tub it's whole life. How old are they when the wean? A couple months? I think he's probably 1 1/2 years old. Is that considered young or old in guinea pig years?

Yup, looks like a male to me. Guinea pigs live between 4-8 years, but they can possibly live a year or 2 longer, it just depends on the guinea pig. I believe they wean at 3-4 weeks old.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.