Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Need feed back fast!

mchayes5

Cavy Slave
Hello!

Well I am completely new to the world of Guineas, actually I haven't even entered the guinea world as of yet. That is why I am here, to see if we should go there. My 6 year old son has been asking for a Guinea Pig for quite some time. We are considering getting him one for Christmas and I can't seem to make up my mind. (I know, we need to decide fast!) I have been reading up on them and am understanding what it takes to care for them. We homeschool, so we are home more than the average family and I am feeling pretty confident we could care for him/her. My question is, do they really make good pets for young children. I have been reading some things on the web and I am beginning to wonder. I know he is going to want to hold and pet this little thing but I am wondering how likely are they to bite. When they do bite, do they tend to nip as a warning like a dog might or do they really bite hard? I hope that doesn't sound like a stupid question, I just want to make sure he gets enjoyment out of having one as a pet. Thanks for any feed back!!! ASAP would be great!

mchayes5

AnmlLvr14

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs are not really recommended for children under 9, unless they are highly supervised when around the pig. They have teeth, so yes, they can bite. Most guinea pigs don't bite hard, but they will nibble at times. My male has to taste me every time I touch him, but it doesn't hurt (but I am also not 6). I personally would not recommend it unless you plan to take care of it yourself and supervise him at all times. If you do decide to get a guinea pig, please adopt (there are lots of homeless guinea pigs in shelters and rescues). Also, they do better in pairs or more.

mamazul

Cavy Slave
I have a 5yo daughter and a 7yo son. We got rescue-piggies almost a year ago, and I had to watch my children constantly to keep them from grabbing the poor, scared piggies. Now my kids never tries to catch them, and the piggies are not scared of them anymore. Still, they don't like to be held, and the kids are disappointed because of that, but still enjoys feeding them and watching them. I think it is important for my children to learn that our pets are not toys, and that we need to respect them.

We are going to a rescue again, to find two (?) more pigs that are used to being held and petted. There are some senior guinea pigs in these rescues that may be very used to children, and that likes being held and petted. You still have to make sure your child learns to treat your new pet right, though! The most important thing is what YOU want, because you will be responsible for the animal(s), and you must want the pet you are getting. Personally, found guinea pigs to be much more fun than I expected, and much more work.

I suggest you look for a guinea pig on petfinder.com, and try to find a guinea pig rescue that is not too many hours away. Some of the guinea pigs are to be housed and adopted alone, but most of them need a friend. Good luck!

Toadies

Cavy Slave
They are ALOT of work and they are not an inexpensive pet if you care for them properly. I can drop $25 a week easy for fresh veggies for my boys. Although they are the least likely of the "pocket pets" to bite, they do nibble. There are alot of people that are allergic to the piggies themselves or some of their supplies, like hay. If I sound a little not positive, I'm sorry. I just don't want piggies to end up where they may turn out to be more time, effort and money than the owners thought they would be and, consequently, end up with the owners (although it's more like they own us) getting rid of them.

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs are alot of work. I have plenty of free times but often need to ask for a favor of my family to feed them.

Guinea pigs are not for kids. Here read this: Guinea Pigs and Kids, Cavies and Children

Also, most shelters won't adopt out on christmas. You child may think of them as a toy when you do. Also, it can be very stressful for a guinea pig to be shoved into a box and then opened into a loud room.

If you plan to get your kid a guinea pig, you have to be the main caregiver. You have to give this guinea pig the attention it deserves. You ahve to be willling to baby proof the cage (child proof), have the guinea pig in constant watch while your child is doing anything with her/him. When a child is in the care of a guinea pig he more often than not loses intrest. THis is one of the number one reasons for so many animals in shelters.

Also, guinea pigs should be kept in pairs. THey are social animals and quite frankly it's cruel to keep a guine pig alone.

I hope I cdon't sound cruel but I just want to let you know that guinea pigs are a huge responsibilty.

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
If you plan to get your kid a guinea pig, you have to be the main caregiver. You have to give this guinea pig the attention it deserves. You ahve to be willling to baby proof the cage (child proof), have the guinea pig in constant watch while your child is doing anything with her/him. When a child is in the care of a guinea pig he more often than not loses intrest. THis is one of the number one reasons for so many animals in shelters.

I ditto everything that has been said, but especially this. I had pigs when I was about your sons age and I got them both because I wanted them and my mother liked them. Even though I enjoyed them, I RARELY took care of them after the first few weeks. I'm sure you know how kids are interested in something one week and something else two weeks later. Kids don't really understand the importance of proper daily care, and to them, a GP is just another new thing to play with. Until the novelty wears off.

I'm not saying that you should not get a pig. What I'm saying is you should get your son per se a pig. It should be a family pet. At first, have your son help you feed and care for them. If after a long while it can become more of his responsibility than yours to care for the pigs. But you must be willing to step in when needed and make sure the pig is safe and well cared for.

Pigs may be "pocket pets" but they are not easy to care for when they are given the care they deserve. I hope you decide to join the ranks of the cavy slaves, but only under the right pretenses.

I would also take a look on this thead. Another newbie is getting her 9 year old a pig and was looking for a good care guide for kids (there are none or for adults). She decided to make her own for him to read and learn about before he actually gets the pig .https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/about-guinea-pigs/40172-suggestions-good-care-book-9-year-old.html

hueyeats

Cavy Slave
I think like all pets, how well handles a pet is is how use to/bonded to that person the pet becomes. When you shower a pet with tons of love, it will love you back (you provide all necessities after all. food, water, shelter etc.)... so long there is no negative feedback they get from you (i.e. pain, abuse etc.).

You will also have to understand that each piggie has his/her own personality... eg.

My Yam-Yam (Mom) may be the best pig ever when it comes to handling, never bites (actually all 4 of mine never bit me), rarely nibbles, never peed or pooped on me.... that even pet experts have said that she is one of the best GPs they have ever seen... many would say that she loves me so she behaves so well for me...
Now her daughter Bubbles is a whole other story. She is a freedom loving pig. Will have to chase her for laptime (which after she is OK) and she never settles too long for it. Does not mean she love me less than her ma; as she is the loudest wheeker we have to whistle & call out to me... she is the boldest of the bunch & will chase me for food, sniff me every chance she's got. She approach me faster than any other GPs would!

If you are afraid of GP biting or even to chance the nibble, a GP may not be ideal for you...
As in the animal kingdom, how animals (all animals) dominate is by fear, and if you show fear from even a nibble, the GPs will dominate you; hence the nibbling will be more frequent. But if you don't show fear, and the GPs learned that you aren't food and get to remember your smell... then the nibbling will decrease (but never totally gone as it is how the GPs learn of their environment including you "say if you wear a new shirt that has softener on it so it covers your normal smell").

They will only bite from defense or from a highly stressed environment (abusive owners etc.) where it thinks it is in danger or cornered!

I have handled my piggies very often (3-6 hrs per day; you can too if you homeschool the children) and is actually in constant contact with my piggies... non of them ever bite me. I ditto others that say they are a lot of work, time and even money; hence we are slaves to our pigs. It takes dedication & alot of commitment from both time & effort.

So, if you can spare the time & effort, the GPs will be the best companions you'll ever have!

Like I said in another post, to adopt a GP is easy... but to give it a forever home, accept it like your family member... takes heart!

P.S. GP is not just another rodent (even if it is listed as a rodent family, it has only 2 mammary glads like a primate, unlike a rat that has 11-20; many people are trying to get it classified as its own class like they did bunnies)... it is a precious life just like a child.

mchayes5

Cavy Slave
Thanks you guys for all the help! I will let you know if we decide to get one.

PixieStix

Cavy Slave
I think like all pets, how well handles a pet is is how use to/bonded to that person the pet becomes. When you shower a pet with tons of love, it will love you back (you provide all necessities after all. food, water, shelter etc.)... so long there is no negative feedback they get from you (i.e. pain, abuse etc.).

You will also have to understand that each piggie has his/her own personality... eg.

My Yam-Yam (Mom) may be the best pig ever when it comes to handling, never bites (actually all 4 of mine never bit me), rarely nibbles, never peed or pooped on me.... that even pet experts have said that she is one of the best GPs they have ever seen... many would say that she loves me so she behaves so well for me...
Now her daughter Bubbles is a whole other story. She is a freedom loving pig. Will have to chase her for laptime (which after she is OK) and she never settles too long for it. Does not mean she love me less than her ma; as she is the loudest wheeker we have to whistle & call out to me... she is the boldest of the bunch & will chase me for food, sniff me every chance she's got. She approach me faster than any other GPs would!

If you are afraid of GP biting or even to chance the nibble, a GP may not be ideal for you...
As in the animal kingdom, how animals (all animals) dominate is by fear, and if you show fear from even a nibble, the GPs will dominate you; hence the nibbling will be more frequent. But if you don't show fear, and the GPs learned that you aren't food and get to remember your smell... then the nibbling will decrease (but never totally gone as it is how the GPs learn of their environment including you "say if you wear a new shirt that has softener on it so it covers your normal smell").

They will only bite from defense or from a highly stressed environment (abusive owners etc.) where it thinks it is in danger or cornered!

I have handled my piggies very often (3-6 hrs per day; you can too if you homeschool the children) and is actually in constant contact with my piggies... non of them ever bite me. I ditto others that say they are a lot of work, time and even money; hence we are slaves to our pigs. It takes dedication & alot of commitment from both time & effort.

So, if you can spare the time & effort, the GPs will be the best companions you'll ever have!

Like I said in another post, to adopt a GP is easy... but to give it a forever home, accept it like your family member... takes heart!

I have to disagree. Some people adore their pigs, spend lots of time with them, are gentle and kind, but it doesn't mean the pigs 'love' them. Many pigs are just shy in nature, they are prey animals. Though it helps, having a person devoted to spending hours a day with a pig does not make them a great pet for a child. Personality plays as much of a role as showering them with love. Many pigs don't really love human attention, many just tolerate it.

Nibbling is not to assert dominance or try to evoke fear. It may be the animal is in pain (eg mites), smells something tasty on you, or sometimes is just fed up. Fear or not in the human, they may nibble. Pigs will also recognize a person regardless of the smell of their shirt. I would believe we have a distinct smell to us, but my pigs recognize me no matter what I'm wearing or how I smell. They even recognize my footsteps.

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't want the origional poster to be misled. I think you are personifying the pigs, and just want to stress that even if you as the adult pay attention to the pigs, does not necessarily make them good for young children.

I think they are way too much work and responsibility for children, especially of those ages. Lots of pigs won't necessarily sit still for ages to be cuddled, but may squirm or scratch or wiggle around.

dra&pigs

Cavy Slave
When I was younger, my mother was the primary caregiver for my piggies, but now I'm just a little younger than a teen, and completely care for them myself (pay for food, bedding, hay, vet visits, ect) and while it means I may not have much spare time or money, they all are well-loved and cared for.

hueyeats

Cavy Slave
I have to disagree. Some people adore their pigs, spend lots of time with them, are gentle and kind, but it doesn't mean the pigs 'love' them. Many pigs are just shy in nature, they are prey animals. Though it helps, having a person devoted to spending hours a day with a pig does not make them a great pet for a child. Personality plays as much of a role as showering them with love. Many pigs don't really love human attention, many just tolerate it.

Nibbling is not to assert dominance or try to evoke fear. It may be the animal is in pain (eg mites), smells something tasty on you, or sometimes is just fed up. Fear or not in the human, they may nibble. Pigs will also recognize a person regardless of the smell of their shirt. I would believe we have a distinct smell to us, but my pigs recognize me no matter what I'm wearing or how I smell. They even recognize my footsteps.

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't want the origional poster to be misled. I think you are personifying the pigs, and just want to stress that even if you as the adult pay attention to the pigs, does not necessarily make them good for young children.

I think they are way too much work and responsibility for children, especially of those ages. Lots of pigs won't necessarily sit still for ages to be cuddled, but may squirm or scratch or wiggle around.

I will definitely agree that Guinea Pigs is not for kids, in fact, all animals kept as pets should never be "for kids"... takes adult responsibility to take care of a pet; some adults do not even have the capability of taking care of a pet (hence existence of the shelters & rescues) let alone a kid!

Nowhere in my post did I encourage a child to be given sole responsibility for a care of a pet, in fact... mine will do other wise..

"time, effort & even money" those are typically an adult capability.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I may humanize my piggies quite a bit but I will disagree that they do not show love back.

Mine will lick my chin, rarely nibbles me, even jump on my lap during lap time & no, I do not have food with me. I know for a fact some of them will hold their poop & pee so as not to use me as their bathroom; Yam-Yam is a perfect example & I have seen her in a hurry to go as the minute I put her down, she went in her cage. She has never peed on me to date!

Bubbles knows I love her most, even if she does poop on me all the time during lap time (she enjoys eating her stool with me hence the poop), is secured enough to close her eyes to sleep when I hold her (actually all my GPs have done that one time or another during laptime).

They all prey animals all right, but I'd say they definitely trusts me!

I think to say a GP do not love you back is kinda wrong...

As if a dog can be also be described as

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man
--Mark Twain "

I think Mark Twain implied that a man will bite you even if you make him prosperous and fed him... if a man can love, why not a dog??? If a dog can love, don't that include a GP too???

I will not agree with anyone who tells me GP is too un-intelligent unlike a dog because dog makes even fewer variations of sound expressions than a GP does. GPs can whistle & chirp like a bird too besides whining wheeks & wheeks that is like barking to a dog.

Other pet quotes here:
(broken link removed)

Famous Pet & Animal Quotes

Another good one:

""An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language." ~ Martin Buber"

--
So, who am I to say...
(i am non of those true inspiring animal lovers who are more famous than me to say)
that my pet do not love me back???

They do love as only as they can know to show...
Its in their eyes!

PixieStix

Cavy Slave
I will definitely agree that Guinea Pigs is not for kids, in fact, all animals kept as pets should never be "for kids"... takes adult responsibility to take care of a pet; some adults do not even have the capability of taking care of a pet (hence existence of the shelters & rescues) let alone a kid!

Nowhere in my post did I encourage a child to be given sole responsibility for a care of a pet, in fact... mine will do other wise..

"time, effort & even money" those are typically an adult capability.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I may humanize my piggies quite a bit but I will disagree that they do not show love back.

Mine will lick my chin, rarely nibbles me, even jump on my lap during lap time & no, I do not have food with me. I know for a fact some of them will hold their poop & pee so as not to use me as their bathroom; Yam-Yam is a perfect example & I have seen her in a hurry to go as the minute I put her down, she went in her cage. She has never peed on me to date!

Bubbles knows I love her most, even if she does poop on me all the time during lap time (she enjoys eating her stool with me hence the poop), is secured enough to close her eyes to sleep when I hold her (actually all my GPs have done that one time or another during laptime).

They all prey animals all right, but I'd say they definitely trusts me!

I think to say a GP do not love you back is kinda wrong...

As if a dog can be also be described as

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man
--Mark Twain "

I think Mark Twain implied that a man will bite you even if you make him prosperous and fed him... if a man can love, why not a dog??? If a dog can love, don't that include a GP too???

I will not agree with anyone who tells me GP is too un-intelligent unlike a dog because dog makes even fewer variations of sound expressions than a GP does. GPs can whistle & chirp like a bird too besides whining wheeks & wheeks that is like barking to a dog.

I don't want to make a big scene on this member's intro thread. No where in my post either did I suggest anything about a child taking sole responsibility for a pet. I was referring to the ability to handle a pig.

I think dogs much more appreciate our company than a pig, but in no way am I saying pigs are unintelligent.

Mark Twain's quote was implying an animal will be thankful and more appreciative of kindness than a man, no where I see anything about guinea pigs and loving. I do think animals can show love, don't get me wrong, especially dogs.

My pigs trust me too, don't worry, they exibit pretty much the same behaviors as yours will. But that's just their personality and handling.

internetjunkey

Cavy Slave
Long story short, I grew up with pocket pets, And I did Okay, but my parents were not interested in helping me with anything...except cleaning the cage... Anywho...

I think that if you're willing to devote as much time as anyone on here to a new addition, I say go for it. But you need to understand that this is a life, and not just another "toy" My family has always thought that an animal is just as disposable as a tissue, or any other object, but this is a life, With breath, and a beating heart. I am no tree hugger, But a simple life force that really cares for all living creatures. And I am happy that you want to save a life..

And I really do respect your choice and hope that the newest family member will be the best decision you'll ever make. But just know that these little loving guinea pigs really do become part of the whole family. With a lot of devotion and Time and money.

Sorry If I'm babbling But I hope you enjoy a piggie!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.