Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introducing myself!

Braven05

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and just thought I'd take a moment to introduce myself. I am a new cavy owner - but grew up with them in the house.

My roommate works with DD individuals and one of them had a cavy who was pregnant. She gave birth just about 5 weeks ago to 4 babies. My roommate planned on getting one and I asked if she'd get one for me as well.

The little girls are Juno (my roommate's) and Kale (mine).

We started them out in the biggest store-bought cage we could find, but quickly learned the error of our ways and last night I made my first C & C cage. Unfortunately I did it wrong and the cage is on the inside of the coroplast (and I'm not sure how to fix it). But the girlies are VERY happy in their new home!!

So thats me and my girls! Nice to meet everyone.

3AMAutumnal

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I hope you and your roommate both learn tons of great new info here!

With regard to fixing the size of your walls on the cage, you can add "partial grids" to each wall to extend them to the size they need to be to fit outside the coroplast. I would recommend it, from experience having made the same mistake early on.

The grids will dirty easier if inside the coroplast and they aren't as easy to clean as the coroplast is.

More importantly, they could be a safety hazard for your little piggies feet and toes is they get caught between the coroplast and the grids - at least that was my concern when I mismeasured on one of my older C&C attempts.

You can expand with "partial grids" by using zip ties to attach a full grid to each wall, overlapping the grids on either side partially but only expand the length of the wall as much as needed to make the length appropriate for the size of the coroplast base. I hope this explanation makes sense and helps you with your challenge.

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC!

When I made my cage I made the coroplast too big too. I undid all the tape and made a new score about 1/4"-1/2" below the original. Then I reinforced the ouside with extra tape. One side is a bit higher than the others but I don't think the piggies will mind. Actually, that can be used as a back splash of sorts to help keep hay/bedding in.

3AMAutumnal

Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC!

When I made my cage I made the coroplast too big too. I undid all the tape and made a new score about 1/4"-1/2" below the original. Then I reinforced the ouside with extra tape. One side is a bit higher than the others but I don't think the piggies will mind. Actually, that can be used as a back splash of sorts to help keep hay/bedding in.

I have used this method to adjust cage sizing as well and it works out pretty good. The one side bigger thing.... lol I seem to manage to do that EVERY single time I make a cage. It does work out well as a back splash though and I've found it helps to keep from having to clean all sorts of hay, etc. from the floor behind the tables.

If you choose this method, just make sure you measure well to determine how much of the extra coroplast to cut off. I've had mishaps of trying to correct the size and taking off too much of the coroplast only to have to start all over again, which is of course frustrating!

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
I have used this method to adjust cage sizing as well and it works out pretty good. The one side bigger thing.... lol I seem to manage to do that EVERY single time I make a cage. It does work out well as a back splash though and I've found it helps to keep from having to clean all sorts of hay, etc. from the floor behind the tables.

If you choose this method, just make sure you measure well to determine how much of the extra coroplast to cut off. I've had mishaps of trying to correct the size and taking off too much of the coroplast only to have to start all over again, which is of course frustrating!

I never cut off the extra, just rescored and left the overhand there. Way easier that way.

BubuCandyBlue

Cavy Slave
Same here. Didn't cut the extra coro. I actually made the mistake of making it too perfect, meaning just on the right measurement, and found out that it doesn't fit because of the connectors and because you don't have straight angles, so being a perfectionist didn't serve me. I was a little mad, but didn't throw it away, it was a lot of work. So the same coro, even if it was already carved on the sides, I carved again 2 inches next to it (on 2 sides not all 4, makes it easier), so it fitted, even if it is a little taller on one side then the other. It still holds for the purpose, because it is carved not cut. And you can't even see it.
So next time when you clean the cage, carve the coro a few inches next to the other carve and bend it after it, and it will fit in not out of your grids. Watch the connectors too when you measure (measure from connector to connector, not from grid to grid, otherwise won't fit again nor in nor out)!

Braven05

Cavy Slave
I'm insanely angry (well maybe not that angry) that I did that! I measured 12 times (you know that whole measure twice/cut once thing) and thought I was so smart, making sure I took into consideration the connectors...and I didn't even realize until I came to the site this morning that I had done it entirely wrong! But I think I knew it needed to go inside, so I don't know what I was thinking! Jees! I'll have to look at it when I get home and try to figure out how to fix it. Hopefully its an easy fix because I cannot start all over, that coroplast was expensive!

Either way, Kale and Juno love their home!! I can't believe how happy they are now. I just sat there last night for 1/2 an hour staring at them running and chasing each other around. They had so much fun! I'm glad I could create an enjoyable environment for them!

BubuCandyBlue

Cavy Slave
Yes I know what you mean about measuring 100x. I spent a whole day measuring the upper parts, the lower one, how high each side, this that. It was already 10pm when I was almost ready, and I had to stay up till 1am to finish what my stupid perfectionist nature had done. Don't worry, it is an easy fix.
As I said, carve it one more time more on the inside, and you will be fine. Look, I posted a picture for you to see my mistake https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/13270

breezy2

Cavy Slave
Welcome. Great job on a first cage. I saw it in your photo gallery. Just think how perfect you will be at making them after making a mistake or two. I think we all have made some when building them.

Also yours and your roommate's guinea pigs are precious.

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome!

If that's the worst boo-boo you do as a cavy slave...don't sweat it (speaking from years of experience)!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.