Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C & C Questions

Nameless Grace

Cavy Slave
My sister and I desperately would like a guinea pig. My sister's friend's guinea pig has recently had babies and she offered to give us one when it gets old enough. I have been doing extensive research online, and C&C cages seem to be the best option, but they intimidate me a bit. If y'all could answer my questions that would be fantastic.

1. How long do these cages last? Will I need to continually replace these cages - specifically the Coroplast? If it will need to be replaced on a regular basis, how often and what are some ways of making it last longer?

2. How much time does this take to assemble in general? How difficult? Would someone with basically no building skills whatsoever be able to do this by themselves?

3. How much work is the upkeep? I am currently in college so I won't be able to take care of them much obviously. My sister is old enough to help, but I am trying to convince my mother to let us get one. I know that if you use someone sort of recycled paper bedding that you basically dump it out, wipe the cage out, and refill it again. Is there anything more?

4. Speaking of which, how similar is paper bedding to pine bedding? When we had gerbils, we used pine bedding, and something similar in form and upkeep would be nice.

5. How much of a mess does this create outside the actualy cage? The cage will probably either go in my old room or in the living room so it would be preferable if it didn't make too much of a mess.

Thank you very much for your help! lol

-Alison

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
Taking on guinea pigs is not something to be taken lightly. They are expensive, and high mantenince and do best in pairs of two as they are social creatures.

Would you be getting two? Because quite frankly it's cruel to only get one.

There are vet costs to consider. Will you be able to pay for a 1,000 dollar surgery if the need may arise? Or would you put him to sleep?

Will you have enough time for them? I spend up to 30 minutes a day preparing meals for them, and an hour shopping for them.

Most people never have to replace the cage.

I ordered my first cage from Sue on ebay. The coro was pre scored so it only took about 15 minutes.

Bigger cages are easier to clean and with regular spot cleaning you should only have to clean it once a week.

By paper bedding do you mean something like CareFresh? <Is more expensive but well worth it. It's very absorbant and hides odor quite well.

Depending on how high your sides are (normally 10"), only some bedding should get out, alot less then those from a petstore cage.

I hope you don't think I was bashing you or anything I just want to make sure you know what your getting into. Please, do your research.

Toadies

Cavy Slave
Mesh grids help keep the mess down even more if you use loose bedding. There's a post today from Guineapiglover1 re: a blog on pine bedding. Please check it out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.