Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

how long till they get comfy??

lydiamo

Cavy Slave
Couldn't find where else I could post this. But I just got my gps a week ago, I know they wont be used to me yet but how long until they start to settle in and be comfortable with their caretaker? they Nash their teeth at me and Ive been chewed on a few times.. I really don't think they like me- kinda discouraging! they don't seem too happy either. will they get warmer towards me??:weepy::weepy::weepy:

Slave to the Wheek

Cavy Slave
Hi, your piggies are always going to be skittish. Only about 10 percent or so of pigs ever get what you would call "tame". They will always run from you but the more you handle them, the faster they will eventually let you pick them up. There are lots of tricks to getting them to be easier to catch and if you keep them in a busy part of the house with lots of human interaction it will help. My friendliest pig was a mascot for a pet supply store and he's SOME PIG. Afraid of almost nothing he chases my puppy around the house!

Baby guinea pigs will nibble on you quite a bit. Much like a puppy, they discover their world with their mouths. They do outgrow it, and I've never heard of them ever biting ..just nibbles. Especially if your fingers taste like veggies!! Just make sure to have something yummy to nibble on when your holding them instead of your fingers. Guinea pigs are full grown at one year of age or so and live to be 7-9 years old if properly cared for.

I'm assuming that you've set your furries up in a nice large CC cage, in a nice busy part of the house, and given them LOTS of places to hide and feel safe. I find that the more they are exposed to you, the more they get handled, get veggie treats (I never pass a piggie without offering a little veg if possible) and learn to feel safe around humans...oh and don't forget that sometimes they start nibbling on you when they have to pee..I have 2 pigs who don't nibble until the ole' bladder gets full.

Here's a couple links about taming piggies that might help:
(broken link removed)
Guinea Lynx :: Behavior

Also, it's very important that you learn about your cavies as much as possible. The link below will take you to the best advice on the web, especially for a newbie. Explore this care guide by clicking on the blue lettered sections. Once you have really learned everything in the "care guide", go ahead and explore the Guinea Lynx site and take a peek at their forum. GL is considered THE place to go for learning about health of guinea pigs. Their forum is for advanced care-givers so when you get more complicated questions they are a great source. Many of the members are Veterinary Professionals.

Guinea Lynx :: Guinea Pig Care Guide

hueyeats

Cavy Slave
I am a newbie myself & had my GPs for 6 weeks now.

I think how GP's are all depends on their personalities. But I do find out that one GP can influence another (as they do communicate between themselves)... just like how my little rascal Bubbles will call out to Tofu when she gets bored running loose around the living room playing by herself to get tofu up there. Bubbles runs & approach me all the time to show her love, and only at week 6 did she find her liking to become an "armpig" (she is the squirmiest when it comes to catching & petting; she does not like to sit still as she loves exploring). Of course, let your GPs tell you when the time is right for them... one cannot hurry but should have tons of paitience when it comes to GPs.

Bubbles also wheeked loudly whenever she hears that I am in the process to refill their hay/pellets to notify the others that food is coming. So... if one GP nibbles at you and get the reaction they want from you... the other will be smart enough to follow suit!

When it comes to nibbling... Bubbles is a nibbler (she is also the youngest of the pack and the "hog" piglet when it comes to hogging food... so she did like my fingers at first due to food smell). I find that these few weeks, the nibbling has gone down quite a bit since she is used to my finger's scent & know it is not food. One tip my FIL shared with me is that when your GP nibbles, you should never withdraw your fingers (unless it is that teeth chattering sound before the bite)... the reason is simple: when you show "fear", the GP "trains" you (and that is not what you want). There is a point to that tip as when GPs do their whose the boss dance, nibbling usually occurs & the lesser pig will "withdraw" from the boss pig's nosing/nibbling. So withdrawal from a nibble do show fear on your end; hence when they want something, they will continue to nibble at you to get what they want.

I give in to my GPs when they "nose", never when they nibble (I usually just "psy" myself saying that they are kissing me). So at week 6, nibbles has been significantly reduced (but not totally gone; that is the nature of GPs to use their teeth to taste/explore/identify even communicate with their environment & themselves).

P.S. Only with tons of love do you receive their love back. I love my piggies & will be with them every minute of the day when time allowed, that even my DH is jealous of my attention to my piggies.

Last edited:

lydiamo

Cavy Slave
thanks for the helpful advice and knowledge! Made me feel better.. :)

shamrockmommy

Cavy Slave
My 2 texel boys are generally pretty easy to pick up. They also allow me to reach in and give scritches (petting) most of the time. They are fantastic lap snugglers and stretch out and gurgle and snooze while being petted. My youngest texel had a very bad mite infestation and from his whisker/chin down to his chest was very raw. The hair is growing in now , but he does not want me touching him there. He gave me a couple of nips just last night to let me know not to touch him there. He enjoys back rubs thoroughly though.

My other pair are a peruvian and aby/ruvian mix. They are harder to catch and will dash away if I try to just reach in their cage and pet them. But they are also great snugglers and enjoy lap time.

I think it may just take time for them to get used to you. Take them out for some very calm and gentle petting for lap time and see what spots they like petted.

I'm sure over time they'll perk up :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.