Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Newbie from NEPA!!

sdieffen

Cavy Slave
Hello all! I am Sarah from Northeast PA. I'm the proud mommy to 4 Guineas: Neemer, Vanilla, Pepe and Blur! I orginally found this site trying to find a better cage for my Guineas, and boy have I!! This site is wonderful! I've shown my husband all of the neat ideas for cages and even he's getting excited, (he's a dog man, not a piggy man). He already told me that I can dedicate a whole room to them! YAY!

A bit of background of my Guineas. Vanilla and Neemer were purchased at a petshop. I did call the local shelters for some, but they had none (i live in a very rural area, and the closest guinea rescue is in Latrobe, PA - about 7 hours away). I originally purchased three "sows". I only went for 2, but my kids said that we all needed a pet, since daddy had the dog. So we went happily home with all of our stuff. I 2 of the biggest cages they had, and hubby connected them, so they had plenty of space. The third "sow" was actually a boar, which I found out when Neemer got pregnant. Buster, that's his name, now lives happily amoung guinea friendly cats and humans at my Sister's house.

They are now in temp homes, due to pregnancy and mis-sexing them. Turns out one of the babies was a male, and mommy is preggers again.

So now we are patiently waiting for Neemer to safely deliver her pups. She is getting SO huge! She wasn't this big with the last litter, granted there were only two pups...

Anyway, you have a little history. I'm so happy to have found this site! I'm sure I'll be asking many questions.

Oh, and BTW - I ordered my coraplast today and it will be here next wednesday! I can't wait to get started on the new home.

Sarah

Welcome! So sorry about all of the gender mix-ups! Unfortunately, that seems to be the norm from the pet shops.

You will have so much fun building your cage. My husband also wasn't super thrilled about the guinea pigs. Now we have a double-decker cage in our living room with 5 pigs in it (and our living room isn't very big).

We love pictures!

I'll be posting up some pics of my cavies soon!!

Hello and welcome!

C&C cages are just great! I have a 4x4 and the piggers couldn't be happier! I don't use coro. I did for my first cage but I switched to a shower curtain since I wanted to expand.

As for your preggo piggy, you can give her some alfalfa hay supplementing the other hay you give. A back to back pregnanncy can be very stressful so do a forum search o it so you can get some info. Sadly, missexing is something petstores are known for. You can have you other female piggy in with the Preggo one.. They act as good little nannies@ Be sure to seperate males from females at three weeks. The boys can go in with daddy.

Good luck!

Welcome! And best of luck to your pregnant pigger!

Congrats on your piggies & welcome to this site. I love this site so much & have been visiting everyday now. ;)

What rural part of PA are you from? My DH is from NEPA as well & love in a very rural area as well, close to Benton PA. Closest city are like Wilkes-Barre & Scranton (my old stomping ground).

Anyhoo... a big welcome.

Welcome! I have a whole room dedicated to my piggies too! :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.