Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cavy Owner In Need of Help With Building a Cage

• Thread starter Twisterdude1009
  • Start date

Twisterdude1009

Cavy Slave
  • Well Here goes. I don't want to have a standard cage for my piggy's like i do now. I want to build a 4 hub Cage!
  • Let Me Explain on each Hub
  • Hub1. I want to put kind of a mountain in it. Something that the piggy's can go up and then Slide down the side of it.Here is what i need to know.What kind of materials can I use for the Mountain and Slide?Also in the Hub I want to put some Grass in it. Would astral turf work or should I buy real grass and put it in there? I also want to put a small village in there with Huts and they will have tunnels going under everything in all of the hubs and tunnels will connect everything. What safe Material can I use for tunnels?
  • Hub2. Will be a kind of sand/dirt one with Lots of hideaways and beds. What kind of sand/dirt would be safe for the piggy's? and what kind of beds can i get for them? Would a Small Dog bed work?
  • Hub3. Will be a Toy Area. Any ideals on some really nice toys for them that they would love?
  • Hub4. Will be there primary food place i plan on building them a table and some nice little plush chairs. What should I use for the table and plush chairs? I know this is a lot and prob to much for 2 piggys but I plan on Adopting a couple more after adopting these 2 and it makes me sad to see them in there small cage:weepy:(It Was the Biggest cage Petsmart had to offer!)
  • Any Thoughts or ideals would be greatly appreciated!
  • I want my piggys to live a happy life and have plenty of room in there cage and i want them to enjoy there selfs!:cool:
  • ~Alan

I don't think any sand/dirt would really be good for them.

Same with an artificial turf. More than likely they will think it's hay and start to eat it which won't be good for them. As for the grass are you talking about sod just taking clipping from mowing the lawn?

You cage sounds like fun, but a lot of work, especially for cleaning. If your piggies are anything like mine (which don't like fancy toys that much) they might not play in the toy area as much as you expect them to. Some pigs do go for cat balls with bells and bird toys but mine just like a good old fashioned toilet paper roll (cut lengthwise to prevent getting stuck in them) stuffed with loads of yummy hay!:D

Good luck with building you cage. I'm sure your babies will love how much effort you put into giving them a wonderful home!

It's great that you want to build a nice cage for your cavies. Instead of dividing up the cage into different hubs, however, the pigs would probably be much happier if it's one big open area where they can run around at full speed, rather than it being divided up. I also don't think they'd like any kind of slide--they like having good traction and not slipping and sliding around.

Ok So I will make one huge cage what material should I use for Tunnels?

you can take a grid and bend it in half then tie some fabric over it so that they can actually be hidden. You can use PVC tubes from home depot which are about $5. You can make one out of wood, which I did. (free with scrap wood!) You can use clean cardboard boxes and cut holes in them (also free). You can also buy tunnels that are for ferrets, which tend to be made from fabric.

Personally, I prefer ones that don't have bottoms because they some like to go to the bathroom in their hideys and something with a fabric floor will require constant cleaning. I live in an apartment with coin washer/dryers so I avoid laundry as much as possible (but I will never give up my fleece bedding, it's SO much nicer than carefresh, apsen etc.)

Take a look in the picture gallery under hidey house. There are plenty of ideas in there. Here are some of mine. Unfortunately the pictures of the wooden one aren't that great.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/12352/ppuser/10402

https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/12300/ppuser/10402

Last edited:
KK TY very much! ^_^

so if they chew on pvc pipe it wont make them sick if they accidentally digest it?

I would say that if they nibble on it a little bit it would be ok, but if they start to go to town on it take it out of the cage. Right now my PVC tube is in the cage and as soon as I put it where I want it she pushes it to wherever she decides it should be. lol

I hear her scratching/nibbiling at it a bit and if it gets any worse out it goes and will become a floor time only hidey where I know I will always be around to supervise and ensure no gnawing occurs.

Well Im thinking I have a hug table I might make it a double story Cage it will take some work but im pretty sure it would work out. I also have a question I got these guys to days ago, and i try to feed them Oranges/Roman Letuce( i know i butchered the spelling on that lol) also tried cucumbers and they refuese to eat it anythoughts on that?

Check out the diet & nutrition forum. Oranges are fruits and should only be fed once or twice a week, also the high acidity can cause mouth sores from what I've been reading in the forums do don't give it too often. Romaine Lettuce is a good everyday veggie.

Some piggies are picky at first and will turn their nose up at everything. Don't offer too much too fast. If they don't eat something right away leave it in the cage for a while and see if they decide to nibble on it. If they don't, keep offering it and they may eventually learn to like some more veggies. I know with my piggie she wouldn't touch a tomato but now she loves them. You just need to go slow and be patient. Your piggies are new and it may just take some time for them to adjust.

Like I said, go to the diet forum. Ly, one of the moderaters is our diet guru. She put up a sticky with a diet chart that is quite handy. I, like many other members have printed it out and keep it on our fridge or near our cages for quick reference.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...cavys-diet-read-me-nutrition-charts-info.html

I would also do a forum search for some of your questions about offering new veggies. It can be much quicker to find instead of having to impatiently wait for a reply. :D

WOW ty you have been SO helpful how do i thank you in a post lol?

Since you are still a newbie you don't have thanking privileges quite yet. I think it's after 15 days (once again, there is a forum way down at the bottom of the page that discusses the topic of being able to thank).

Thank you, I guess it just goes to show how wonderful this site really is. Every question I answers from you I learned from here. Without this forum my piggies life would miserable.

Prince and Thrall are adorable! I'm sure they'll love their new cage.

Ditto to what starshine says.

I have an idea, if you want the desert sand effect, why not use a sand colored fleece & for the "grassland" turf, why not a grass green fleece???

I am sure your pigs will love the fleece & besides, fleece is a highly recommended bedding material.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.