Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Guinea Pig Spinal Cord Trauma

Onomnom

Cavy Slave
He was handled the wrong way by my roommate. She say's she dropped him and he thudded on the floor HARD. I took him to the vet right away.
He has spinal cord trauma. the doctor told me he has a 15% to 50% chance of survival. Everything is in working except for the fact he can't move! he is trying though, He is drinking/eating like nothing happen.They gave him a steroid shot 3 hours ago, since then he's been making progress? They also gave me "Prednisone Tabs 20mg" I was told to get him started on this today but- The instructions say to "feed twice daily every 12 hours" It's 6pm now,so,Should I feed him his meds now? then at 6am tomorrow? And what are the chances of him gaining back his mobility??(And he wont sleep! is that normal?)
Edit: We gave him his meds and he said yuck, now he's twitching more!!
I don't know what to do T.T

Janelle

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry!!

Onomnom

Cavy Slave

blubrd12

Cavy Slave
I dont know how much help this will be because I've only had this experience with a rabbit but I thought I would tell you my story anyway. About 4 years ago I rescued a rabbit from a friend who never took care or her. To make a long story short.. I dropped her on a tile floor and she started twitching and then just stopped moving. I scooped her up (hysterical of course) and took her to the vet. On the way she woke up but was miserable and couldnt move. He kept her overnight giving her steroids and pain medication as well as an IV. I took her home the next day and continued to give her steriods. She would eat and go to the bathroom but did not move. The vet told me she would never walk again but she might have a chance of surviving. She didnt seem to be in pain due to the medication so I decided not to put her down. So everyday I fed her and cleaned her up (she couldnt move while going to the bathroom so everything just collected in her fur). About a month later after she had been off the steroids for awhile we took her back to the vet who confirmed spinal cord injury and said that if we thought her quality of life was okay it was not neccessary to put her down. I read up some things online that talked about physical therapy for rabbits who had lost the use of their rear legs and started doing this with her. About 3 months after the accident she could fully use one of her back legs and the other one she could move but not hop on. 4 years later at 8 years old she is still going strong. She does not have any ill effects from the accident but still does drag one leg a bit. The only difference between her care and a 'normal' rabbits is that we have to bath her underside 2-3 times a week so she doesnt get burnt from the urine. We lived in asia at the time so vet care was below par and most of what we did to help her was learnt from the internet. I dont know how similar this is to your piggy but I thought I would let you know that it might be okay. I wish you luck and know how it feels.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I see you have a thread on guinealynx. Follow their advice. They have very medical knowledgable people over there that are better equipped to help you than we are. Just keep us updated on his condition.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.