Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

URI/Pneumonia/Chloramphenicol

D

Dani665

URI/Pneumonia/Chloramphenicol

Hi All!! I hope you don't mind me jumping in right away with a question, but I'm so glad to have found this board. I'm wondering if anyone else has had experience with a persistent upper respiratory infection/pneumonia in their piggie. After seven vet appointments and three weeks, we've been through SMZ, Baytril, and Amiglyde nebs. We're now using Chloramphenicol orally. Gracie's lungs sound much better, but the vet wants to try Chloramphenicol injectible solution in the nebulizer because she's sneezing so much and we can't seem to get it under control. She still gets a little crusty around the nose, too. Since chloramphenicol is known to destroy bone marrow in humans and can be fatal, I think shooting a mist in the air that my family will be exposed to is a really bad idea. Is there something else the vet could try? Has anyone successfully cleared up a persistent infection like this? Thanks for any help!!

Re: URI/Pneumonia/Chloramphenicol

Good luck. Fortunately, none of my piggies have ever experienced any of these symptons.

Attachments

DSC_0235.jpg DSC_0230.jpg DSC_0003.jpg DSC_0007.jpg DSC_0012.jpg DSC_0012.jpg DSC_0010.jpg DSC_0006.jpg DSC_0005.jpg
Re: URI/Pneumonia/Chloramphenicol

Please register and post this question on the medical forum on this site: www.guinealynx.info/forums/

URI/Pneumonial/Chloramphenicol

Thanks for that link- I did alot of reading tonite. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.