Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hey guys!

Gabapple

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone! I am a soon-to-be Guinea Pig mom and have been reading as much of this site and others to get all of the info that I can find on them. We've located one little girl so far to adopt, who should be ready to leave the foster mom in the next week or so... and are looking for another girl to be a friend. So far no luck, though - I need to find out if there are any rescue groups in Utah!

My husband and I are so so so excited to jump into the world of piggies. We've both had many pets in our lives - rats, hamsters, mice, dogs, cats, fish, various reptiles, etc... and currently have three lazy kitties, two hamsters, and various tropical fish. The cage for our future piggies is almost ready, too... It's a 2x4 with a 1x2 top level, closed and very cat-proof. We tested that out last night and our cats are so happy to have more places to lay around.

I'll post pictures when I have a chance... but anyway, it's so great to meet all of you! Since neither of us have had guinea pigs before, do you have any advice for new owners? We have a supply of timothy hay, aspen, carefresh, both timothy and alfalfa pellets (the piglet is pretty young), a bowl, water bottle, pigloo, hammock, soft pet bed, extra coroplast to make the sides higher til' she gets older, orchard grass for treats, a stock of fresh veggies in the fridge, a tennis ball, a couple of cat toys (balls with bells, to try out with supervision), chew sticks...

I think all I have left to do is finish the ramp and put the bedding in. Oh, and add the piglet! I'm so excited, can you tell?

Thanks again for all of your helpful photos and great discussions. I am learning so much!

PixieStix

Cavy Slave
Welcome! It sounds like your new piggy will be very lucky and spoiled, good for you for getting everything ready and researching before she arrives. Great choice to adopt, good luck looking for a friend! Have you checked Petfinder.com: Adopt a pet and help an animal shelter rescue a puppy or kitten.?

As far as your supplies go, you look pretty well set. Chew sticks tend to be useless though, most pigs won't use them. Giving your pig an apple or pear branch from an unsprayed fruit tree (avoid trees that produce fruit with pits, like peaches) may be a more popular choice. Have you seen the veggie and fruit charts https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...cavys-diet-read-me-nutrition-charts-info.html? They are very helpful while feeding veggies. What brand of pellets did you get your pig?

Good luck with your new piggy, enjoy her!

Last edited:

Gabapple

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the luck and welcome!

I've checked petfinder, yeah, but the nearest piggies are on Colorado, and we aren't able to travel right now. Perhaps in a couple of months... but, until then, we will keep searching! Thank you for the suggestion.

I'll have to check and see if any of my friends/family have fruit trees. I think that my parents have a cherry tree - that would work, right?

For brand of pellets... I have a bag of Kaytee Timothy Complete - which I am kind of nervous about, since it's 'Kaytee' and I keep hearing mixed opinions of it... though, this was the only bag at the pet store that didn't list corn in the ingredients, or any animal bi-products. Thank goodness. I hope this will do at first, until I have a chance to buy some pellets online.

For the alfalfa, I was able to go to my local Intermountain Farmers store and pick up a bag. Unfortunately, they're all 50lb bags, BUT! it's useful because I actually use alfafa in the bedding for my other pets' cages. It helps control the odor, and while the hammies aren't interested in it, if they nibble, it won't hurt them. I lay that down and put carefresh on top and we're golden... so I'll always have a fresh supply of alfalfa pellets on hand. Hope those are good.

What brand of pellets do you suggest?

PixieStix

Cavy Slave
I'll have to check and see if any of my friends/family have fruit trees. I think that my parents have a cherry tree - that would work, right?

For brand of pellets... I have a bag of Kaytee Timothy Complete - which I am kind of nervous about, since it's 'Kaytee' and I keep hearing mixed opinions of it... though, this was the only bag at the pet store that didn't list corn in the ingredients, or any animal bi-products. Thank goodness. I hope this will do at first, until I have a chance to buy some pellets online.

For the alfalfa, I was able to go to my local Intermountain Farmers store and pick up a bag. Unfortunately, they're all 50lb bags, BUT! it's useful because I actually use alfafa in the bedding for my other pets' cages. It helps control the odor, and while the hammies aren't interested in it, if they nibble, it won't hurt them. I lay that down and put carefresh on top and we're golden... so I'll always have a fresh supply of alfalfa pellets on hand. Hope those are good.

What brand of pellets do you suggest?

Nope, cherries are pitted fruits and poisonous. Cherries, peaches, plums, etc are NOT GOOD.

Kaytee pellets are crappy. They contain a cancer causing preservative, equinoxythen, as well as other harmful ingrediants. Oxbow can be found in some stores and some vets offices. (broken link removed) The site includes a store locator, but the pellets can also be ordered online. Cavy performance is for pigs under 6 months and is alfalfa based, Cavy Cuisine is for older pigs and is timothy based.

KM's have great pellets and hay, online ordering only. You have to buy in bulk, however even with shipping costs, it is usually cheaper, plus you get amazing quality feed. Pellets can be frozen to keep them fresh. Again, there is both Alfalfa and Timothy pellets.

Mazuri 5664 (only that formula) can be found in large bags at some feed stores as a third choice.

Gabapple

Cavy Slave
Ah, thanks for answering that question, glad I asked first. Shows what I know about fruit, doesn't it? I'll have the list with me when I go shopping next - at least I know that the veggies that we have are safe! I'm much better at shopping for those than fruits.

Also, thanks for the link. I'll go check it out right now to see if there's any in my area. I haven't opened the Kaytee bag, so maybe I can just return it.

I'm so glad that this forum is here!

PixieStix

Cavy Slave
Ah, thanks for answering that question, glad I asked first. Shows what I know about fruit, doesn't it? I'll have the list with me when I go shopping next - at least I know that the veggies that we have are safe! I'm much better at shopping for those than fruits.

Just to claify, the fruit cherries are fine to eat. They can NOT have the branches though, those are poisonous. The WOOD from pitted trees in dangerous. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. Sweet cherries (as well as other fruits) are on the charts. Printing them out is a great idea. By now I've studied them so much I've memorized them.

Gabapple

Cavy Slave
Just to claify, the fruit cherries are fine to eat. They can NOT have the branches though, those are poisonous. The WOOD from pitted trees in dangerous. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. Sweet cherries (as well as other fruits) are on the charts. Printing them out is a great idea. By now I've studied them so much I've memorized them.

Thanks again for the helpful info. I really appreciate it, and will definitely keep that in mind! I'll keep hunting for non-pitted-tree-branches. I ordered some oxbow, as well.

Also, as it turns out, my piggie was ready today! I got the call earlier, finished up the cage, and picked her up. She's SO adorable, but is very hidey right now. I'm giving her some space to relax. The foster home gave me some food pellets to take care of her until my delivery gets here. Hurray!

PixieStix

Cavy Slave
No problem. That's great you have your new girl, you must be very happy, exciting! That's great you ordered her Oxbow.

Gabapple

Cavy Slave
Now with pictures!

Sorry for the picture spam in advance, everyone. Here are a bunch of photos!

Her name is Lorelei, though I am calling her Lori. She's super tiny. Apparently, she was born two weeks early and was the only one to survive in her litter. She's got an adorable little belly, though, and has been eating lots and lots since getting here. She's still really afraid of me, though, so I'm just letting her get used to her new cage. I think she'll be happier once we find her a friend.

The cats were interested in their new friend. Benjamin is the cat on top, with Tango on the bin next to it (orange and white), and Hobbes in the foreground.

The cage, sans cats. It has extra coroplast around the sides because Lori is so young and small.

Gabapple

Cavy Slave
Now with pictures! 2

Inside of the cage.

The cage is very sturdy, I am so impressed!

Big view of the cage, with cats in place. The cage is in our office, which has the door closed unless we are in here. So, the cats will always be supervised.

Another shot of Lori. So cute!

camende

Cavy Slave
Oh My! She is super duper cute!! Congrats on the new piggie. You did a great job on the cage!!

I'm sure you will be able to find a friend for her. Be patient. Sadly, there are lots of piggies out there looking for forever homes. I'm sure you will find one soon.

PixieStix

Cavy Slave
She is absolutely adorable, her cage looks great. Cute cats too. It's normal for her to be skittish and shy around you at first, it will take a while for her to warm up to you. Hand feeding veggies and spending lots of time near her may help her trust you more.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.