Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

new ideas for floor time

bunny08

Cavy Slave
i just recently got a guniea pig. she is a female. her name is bunny. well the previous owner said she would stay in one spot when is out of her cage for hours. Now that we got her she is roaming around my living room/play room. well there is alot of toys around and i dont want her to get in tight places. I saw some pictures with fleece blankets . When i went to walmart the other day i saw a guinea pig fence you can put up and put them in there. what can i put on the floor for her. she likes to poop and pee on the floor and the pee has a smell to it. Can you guys give me ideas? Bunny is a little over year old. my question is why did she not move with her previous owner but now we got her at first she didnt move now she is moving all over the place? the previous owner did have a four year old daughter. i have two daughter but my girls pet her and not carry bunny around in a purse. so is it good that she is roaming my living? im still trying to figure her sounds out. when we pet her she chirps a little. but i would love advice. i want the best for my bunny. stacey

If you're worried about her roaming the living room, an easy playpen to make is to take some grids (like the grids used to build the cages on this site https://www.guineapigcages.com/cubes.htm) and zip tie them loosely together. With the loose zip ties, it can be folded up when not in use. The 'guinea pig' playpens marketed at Walmart aren't a great solution. Though they are marketed towards pigs, many pigs can manage to get over the short fence, and one playpen isn't really a lot of room.

If you're worried about the floor, you can use a number of waterproof liners to the pen; garbage bags, a tarp, shower curtain liner, or a painters drop cloth all work to keep any wetness off the floor. On top of the bottom layer should be something more absorbant, like towels or newspaper. The floor time pen should ideally be as big as you can make it, the bigger the better, but it should at least be larger than the cage for a good chance to exercise and explore. You may also want to put out some toys https://www.guineapigcages.com/toys.htm or things to do for her in the floortime pen.

This link Guinea Lynx :: Behavior has types of noises and behaviors she may exhibit, and what they mean as well as some soundclips of them.

The fleece blankets you may see in cages or floortime pens are becoming a popular bedding type. Fleece wicks moisture away, so it will always stay dry. There must be an absorbant layer underneath, for example towels, to soak up any pee. Fleece is quite a bit of work to keep clean in a cage- it must be swept daily for any poops, and changed regularly and washed. However, there's also many benefits over loose bedding. https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/bedding/21568-fleece-project-study.html Has more info on fleece.

Staying in one place in her cage probably means she was bored there. Chances are she didn't have a large enough cage or enough things to do. There are again instructions on the main page for making a larger cage. The toys page I posted above gives ways to keep your piggy entertained and happy.

I put down an old comforter than we don't use for the beds anymore and use zip tied grids that easily fold up. When they're done, I shake out the comforter over the side of the porch and throw it in the washing machine

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.