Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Running Lice?

Metroid & Boo

Cavy Slave
Hello, I was petting my boys last night and noticed small bugs crawling close to their eyes, and some close to Boo's ear too. It sounds like they have running lice?
I live in the Uk and can't find any Advantage treatment. I can buy Ivermectin but I'm not sure that's what I need. So my question really is, can I use Ivermectin on my piggies, will it get rid of the lice?
Is this it? (broken link removed)

Thank you!

Metroid & Boo

Cavy Slave
Just found this too, it's Easimec Ivermectin. Is this better?
Easimec Ivermectin 0.5% 10ml

I am so sorry for asking so many things but I'm a bit confused with all the info I'm finding online.
Thank you

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Have you read Guinea Lynx :: Lice ?

Advantage or Revolution are good. If you use ivermectin, it has to be the topical kind.

It doesn't say the ingredients on the links you posted.

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
Look at this link
(broken link removed)
She is based in the UK and sells shampoos for GPs. She has a product called Lice-N-Easy. It gets rid of the lice!

Metroid & Boo

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your replies. I can only get Advantage with a vets prescription and I have only been able to find ivermectin online. I looked on ebay and I can get Advantage from the USA, would this be a good idea?
I found this one, is this what I need? https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Advantage-Flea-Control-Dogs-Under-10lb-4pk-GENUINE-USA_W0QQitemZ110217757125QQihZ001QQcategoryZ20749QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247 (Advantage Flea Control Dogs Under 10lb 4pk- GENUINE USA on eBay, also Flea Tick Remedies, Dog Supplies, Pet Supplies, Home Garden (end time 22-May-08 22:09:45 BST))

I have 2 boys, would 4 tubes be enough?

Thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
According to Guinea Lynx All Advantage(cat, dog, 10-100 lbs) has the same concentration. You do not put the whole tube on the pigs, so one tube will work. You will need a 1cc syringe or it's also called a TB syringe to dose. It will only be a drop. Here are links about the Advantage and how to dose. Go down to where you insert the name of the drug and highlight Imidacloprid 91mg/ml. Then you have to type in the exact weight of each pig and it will tell you how much to give. Put it just behind the ears on the bald spots. You have to know the weight.
Guinea Lynx :: Topic - Advantage (imidacloprid) for Lice
Guinea Lynx :: Dose Calculator

Metroid & Boo

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for that, the calculator sure helps a lot. I will order it from the States as I can only go to the vet next month and I do not want to wait that long to treat my boys.
Now off to buy a kitchen scale!
Thank you very mucn, I really appreciate it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.