Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Already wanting rats.

PrayerWarrior

Cavy Slave
I've only had my pigs for a week, and being on this site has made me want rats now, as well. I know that in time, when I prove to my parents that I'm responsible in caring for the pigs and cleaning up after them, they'll most likely let me get rats as well.

Not any time soon, though.

Are they smelly? How many is recommended? Boys or girls? Any links to go read up would be good. Again, I'm not getting rats any time soon, but I'd like to be educated for in the far future.

Rats are really neat. They also don't live long, so heartache is also a part of the deal.

Here are a couple of good sites for "everything rattie".

(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)

Rats are like other small animals and live best in same sex groups. I would not get less than 2. 3 are actually good, in case anything should happen to one, the other is not left alone. :weepy:

They do have very short lifespans (2-3 years), but you'll fall every bit in love with them as you would any other pet. I've had (and lost) many, and it never gets any easier to say good-bye. So that's something to keep in mind.

Boys and girls are different, it all depends on what you're looking for. Boys are typically laid back and cuddly, girls are energetic and playful. Older males turn into big squishy couch potatoes, girls just slow down a little, but are still always on the go. I love them equally, just in different ways.
If you want a rat to hold on your lap, you have a better chance of that with a boy (usually). If you want to teach your rat tricks and have fun just watching what they'll do next, girls are great!

Thank you, Rattie Mom. I will check those out.

Yes. I'm aware of their short lifespan. :weepy: That would for sure be the hardest part. I get extremely attached, but at the same time, I want to get all the rats I can the chance at a loving home for the rest of their life, however long that may be.

Both sound wonderful, but I'm pretty sure I would want a few cuddly boys.

Thank you for replying, that was extremely helpful.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.