Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

South ATL vet

Tamgirl1983

Cavy Slave
I just recently adopted and was wondering if anyone knew of a vet clinic in the south atlanta area with guinea pig experience?

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
I'm also in South Atlanta (Henry County) and none of those links helped me. You can call vets around your area, they have lists of exotic vets, the doctor I work for is currently finishing up building her own clinic and not taking new patients, but she does see pigs. She won't open for about another month or so, but if you need her then, feel free to PM me and I will give you her info. Other than any of that, the next closest would be Atlanta.

There are also rescues in Atlanta who can refer you to the Vet they use, but being in Newnan, I doubt that will help. My Vet is also about HR 30 Min's away so it would be easier for you to probably go to ATL.

Tamgirl1983

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your help. I called around and there is one clinic in Newnan with a vet who is pig savvy. The only problem is , she is only there about once a week. I am going to make an appointment with her soon for a check up just to make sure my girls are doing well. If she works out I might find out where else she rotates so that I know where to reach here when .

Cavy Carnage

Cavy Slave
We go to a vet in Decatur that specializes in small animals and birds, in fact they don't see dogs and cats at all. I don't know exactly where you are but we drive the hour to hour and a half it takes to go there as they go out of the way to help. I use them for my rabbits but when chatting they seemed to know about guinea pigs. They also stock Oxbow hay/ pellets and other decent animal food /supplies. If you google For Pets Sake Decatur they have a website. I wasn't sure if I was allowed to post it.

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
We used to hasve a Vet that rotated too. Maybe once you get to know her/him you can get a pager number or something in case an emergency comes up when s/he is not there, many times the other locations aren't in relative proximity to the office you go to. But it would be good to know.

Tamgirl1983

Cavy Slave
I have heard of for pets sake . Decatur is a two and a half hour drive for me through ATL traffic and all. I am going to try the rotating vet because she is in town , and if it doesn't work out , then I will look elsewhere . Thanks for all the suggestions!

Cavy Carnage

Cavy Slave
If you give the area you live I can probably get some other Cavy Savvy vets in your area so you wouldn't need to keep waiting till the vet comes to your area on that particular day which isn't that great in an emergency.

Tamgirl1983

Cavy Slave
I live in south western Coweta county. I live about 30 minutes from LaGrange and about an hour and a half from Columbus and Auburn . I just don't want to drive more than 30-45 minutes unless I have to, as I work 5 days a week in Valley AL and that is an hour and gas is very expensive as of late. I have been doing internet searches but already have an appointment for weds with the rotating Doc at my vet (coweta animal Hospital) but I don't know exactly how "cavvy savy" she is . If you know of a "cavvy savy" vet around my area, carnage, that would be of great help. And thanks to ya'll for the advice .

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
My Grandmother lives on the Coweta/Heard County Line off 34, so I now how hard it is to find anything around that area. When you take your piggy Wednesday, be sure to try and print out the info on Guinea Lynx, just in case. Then get the feel of the Vet. As I said before, at the receptionists desk you could always ask if they have a list of exotic Vet's around your particular area. They should have one, I know a lot of people would call the office I work at wanting to know of any vets that specifically saw birds or reptiles, so we kept a list by the front desk. It never hurts to ask.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.