Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Canada Hello everyone I have a question

Pharo64

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone, I'm quite happy that I was able to find this site and it has a lot of information on pretty much everything so thank you for that.

I have two guinea pigs , each two years old and got to keep them quite by accident really, we were supposed to be intermediaries to the ones who were supposed to keep them but it didn't work out and they ended up staying with us , since their original owners didn't want them back.

We fell in love with them and now we have a problem to overcome and really hope that someone can help.

Our family has been living in the middle east for 20 yrs now and we are moving back to Canada permanently our problem is how do we take them back?

I mean legally according to Canadian authorities they do not require visas or medical certificates from any vet as they are classified as rodents.

According to our searches online we found that we would have to ask the airline we are traveling by and ask them for their procedures and such.

So that much work has been done anyways,
But I am still worried about the stress the 24 hr (or maybe more) journey will take on the two and I am quite worried since they dont really take new places very well and was quite evident when we brought them to our place for the first time, I'd hate to give them away since they have become part of our family.

If anyone could help me (oh yea we will be going to Vancouver btw) out I would really appreciate your help.

I mean how I can help to control their stress, cage type , bedding , food amounts , water ,all and any details you can think off.

Thank you once again,
~Cheers everyone

Toadies

Cavy Slave
I've never traveled with piggies, but perhaps some cat-travel ideas would help. When I traveled with my cats, I didn't wash their bedding for a few days before traveling. I left their carriers down and open so that they could smell them. I also made sure that they traveled with their favorite toys. Pehaps if you let the piggies be around what they will be traveling in, they will be more familiar with it and be less anxious. Timothy cubes are neater that loose hay and I have seen some mention that they feed their piggs wet veggies for moisture on a trip . I don't know about such a long trip, though. I have had to give mine water from a syringe and that worked real well. There are kitty carriers that fit under airplane seats that might be useful to you. I would keep them draped to reduce stress, drafts and boogie monster sightings. The air on planes isn't the best, so you might ask your vet about prophylatic antibiotics. I hope that you and yours have a safe, uneventful trip.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.